DICOM header FieldStrength gets rounded per 0.5

Guus Kolpa

Feb 2, 2023, 10:23:04 AM2/2/23
to xnat_discussion
Hi all,

An XNAT user of mine said that XNAT does not properly show the FieldStrength.

I have MR Scans with FieldStrength 1.16, which the DICOM header also shows in XNAT when I look at the actual files. However, in searches (and the PSQL database, table 'displayfields_xnat_mrscandata') it's stored as 1.0 instead.

Some testing and editing DICOM tags, I find that FieldStrength 1.24 gets rounded off to 1.0, 1.25 becomes 1.5.

Why this rounding? This makes selections on specific field strength which are not a multiple of 0.5 impossible except by dumping all DICOM information or manually adjusting the parameter.
Is there some way to overwrite this behaviour?

Kevin Archie

Feb 22, 2023, 2:48:22 PM2/22/23
to xnat_discussion
Dear Guus,

Thanks for the report. I've created a ticket to track the problem: XNAT-7574

In the meantime, if you need the correct field values urgently, you might consider adding a custom field to record field strength at least until a fix is available: Import Custom DICOM Fields to Session or Scan Data via the XNAT API

Thanks,
Kevin

Guus Kolpa

Feb 22, 2023, 7:05:50 PM2/22/23
to xnat_discussion
Thanks Kevin, appreciate the response!

For now we can get past by informing users and manually updating the parameter. It's very prone to error, but we can get by knowing that it'll be looked at.

Good luck, and thanks for your work!