Installation error on Vmware vSphere - "unsupported hardware family 'virtual-box-2.2'"

Gary Goozée

Mar 10, 2016, 10:25:56 AM3/10/16
to xnat_discussion
Hi

I am attempting to install the 64 bit Ubuntu Desktop virtual host for XNAT (v1.6.4) onto vSphere Client (5.1.0) with "deploy OVF template..."  but get the following error message

Error
The OVF package requires unsupported hardware
Details: Line 52: Unsupported hardware family 'virtualbox-2.2'

Any suggestions for what I might have missed or for how to resolve this?

Thanks,
Gary

Herrick, Rick

Mar 10, 2016, 10:32:43 AM3/10/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
I have zero experience deploying to vSphere, but this looks like a possible solution:

It looks like this was or is an issue with the tools that VM uses to import the OVF, so you may also try updating those. There’s a tool in particular, ovftool, that can cause issues along the way.

Another suggestion is to use Vagrant and the XNAT 1.6.5 Vagrant project (https://bitbucket.org/nrg/xnat_vagrant_1_6dev) to create a native VMWare machine. And it’s 1.6.5, so up-to-date bonus! :)

The only catch is that, to create that VM, you need the VMWare provider for Vagrant, which is a paid product:

You may be able to create a VirtualBox VM with the Vagrant project and then import that:

Again, I think this is highly contingent on version compatibilities between VirtualBox and the VMWare platform.

--

Rick Herrick

Sr. Programmer/Analyst

Neuroinformatics Research Group