Whitelist - anonymization script

Anne Wegener

Mar 25, 2022, 4:56:20 AM3/25/22
to xnat_discussion
hey,
I want to create a whitelist with the sidewide anonymization script, so I am searching for a way to delete all DICOM metadata, and just keep those that I name explicitly. I tried it with wildcards, but this did not work for this purpose. Does anyone know how to solve it differently?
Thanks in advance!

Simon Doran

Mar 25, 2022, 6:03:23 AM3/25/22
to xnat_discussion
Hi Anne,

  I'd like to second that - it's a feature that would be really helpful, given that, as the DICOM standard evolves and new elements are added, it can be difficult to ensure that all fields potentially containing PHI are removed by the "blacklist" (ouch, we need a better, more socially acceptable term!) approach.

  However, there is a caveat to this. DICOM is a large and complex standard and it's possible to render data almost useless by failing to "add back in" all the fields that users "down the line" might need via the "whitelist" approach. A possible solution to this might be a rigorous implementation of the DICOM Part 15 Basic Confidentiality Profile https://dicom.nema.org/medical/dicom/current/output/html/part15.html#chapter_E, followed by adding back in your specific tags. But, as per the first paragraph, it's a hassle keeping the Basic Profile up to date.

  Best wishes,

Simon

Steve Moore

Mar 28, 2022, 1:58:11 PM3/28/22
to xnat_discussion
There is a works in progress for doing this with private elements.  You will be able to say "Delete all private elements, but keep these ...."

Can you let me know if you mean both standard and private elements, or just private elements?

Steve Moore