best PostgreSQL version?

Mick Fox

Sep 14, 2021, 11:14:23 AM9/14/21
to xnat_discussion
Is there a most supported / compatible / recommended version of PostgreSQL for XNAT 1.8?

I'd guess that 12 would be best, with new features and the longest away end-of-life date, but really the only feature I care about in PostgreSQL on this machine is easy inter-operability with XNAT.

Backstory, I messed up the upgrade from 9 to 10 on a XNAT test machine with no real data and plan on completely uninstalling the old versions of PostgreSQL before trying to install it again.

Thanks,
-Mick

KRANTHI THEJ

Sep 15, 2021, 9:24:47 AM9/15/21
to xnat_discussion
I'm using PostgreSQL 12.2 (XNAT 1.8.2, docker installation)
and it works fine :)

good luck

Kranthi

Viktor Wottschel

Sep 16, 2021, 10:24:03 AM9/16/21
to xnat_discussion
I had problems with the JDBC driver in version 13 on CentOS 8.
Everything installed fine, tomcat and postgres were running but XNAT didn't start up due to some JDBC library issues.

In the end, I 'downgraded' to version 12 and everything started working like a treat.

Herrick, Rick

Sep 16, 2021, 10:58:58 AM9/16/21
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I’d say the latest version of PostgreSQL 12 is the best choice at this point. I’ve run with that extensively without issue. PostgreSQL 13 final release wasn’t available at the time we initially released 1.8, so we haven’t tried working with that yet. I was actually just looking at the versions of many of our basic dependencies like the PostgreSQL JDBC driver and plan to try updating those and testing for compatibility over the next few months, but wouldn’t recommend doing anything like that for something that you’re planning on putting into production within the next 6 months or so.

--

Rick Herrick

XNAT Architect/Developer

Computational Imaging Laboratory