disable new user registration?

Daniel Drucker

Sep 21, 2021, 4:44:43 PM9/21/21
to xnat_discussion
Is it possible to disable new user self-registration? As in, I don't want people to be able to click 'register' at all - accounts should only be made by the administrator.

Moore, Charlie

Sep 22, 2021, 11:34:25 AM9/22/21
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately, no, this isn't supported as far as I know. We have a ticket for it here, but it's pretty far down in the backlog: https://issues.xnat.org/browse/XNAT-4648 . It would be technically feasible to remove the register link by overriding the login page in a plugin, but I can't say I would recommend it as it might make upgrading XNAT painful.

Thanks,
Charlie

Is it possible to disable new user self-registration? As in, I don't want people to be able to click 'register' at all - accounts should only be made by the administrator.

Herrick, Rick

Sep 22, 2021, 11:53:43 AM9/22/21
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

Another option would be to override the register page in a plugin, e.g. templates/screens/Register.vm, to display a message that self-registration isn’t permitted on this system and give links to email the admin (if you want, or not if you don’t want!) and back to the login page. That way you wouldn’t have to worry about changes to the login page in upgraded versions and you don’t care about changes to the register page because you don’t want to permit registration anyway.

--

Rick Herrick

XNAT Architect/Developer

Computational Imaging Laboratory

Daniel Drucker

Sep 22, 2021, 12:20:57 PM9/22/21
to xnat_discussion
Thanks. I think I'm just going to implore people in the Site Description to not use the Register button.

(The issue I'm having is that people enter all sorts of weird guesses for their username, and then I just have to make them a new one anyway...)