OHIF 3D MPR mode and Multi-frame datasets

Chidi Ugonna

Mar 9, 2023, 12:10:10 PM3/9/23
to xnat_discussion
Hi all.
Thank you for all your great work on the XNAT OHIF viewer which is becoming a key component in our research workflow.

We have been using the 3D MPR mode on Accelerated Sagittal MPRAGE acquisitions in order to view coronal, axial and sagittal slices. This has been working nicely so far.

We notice that for acquisitions from a partner site however  the data is being sent as a multi-frame DICOM dataset and the 3D MPR mode is not available.

I am wondering if there is a way around this issue besides asking them to resend the data in standard format? Just out of curiosity is multiframe format what is also referred to as enhanced DICOM?

I am new to the DICOM standards. A quick peruse suggests that multiframe it is a more compact representation of the data (where header info is sent once). Is this the way that DICOMs are expected to be shared in the future? Perhaps this lack of support for multiframe data is a limitation of the core OHIF viewer itself and not something that can be resolved within the XNAT OHIF Plugin itself?

Thanks for any help, advice and suggestions.
Best
Chidi

2023-03-09 09_34_40-M39977905 _ XNAT OHIF Viewer — Mozilla Firefox.png