de-anonymization

Víctor Medina Chavarrías

Nov 28, 2022, 9:31:58 AM11/28/22
to xnat_discussion
In our research group we're beggining to configure XNAT for extensive use and we have some doubts concerning anonymization.
Is there any way in which we can upload images to XNAT, performing an anonymization script to them, and then, when recovered/downloaded from the XNAT, configure it in a way that removes that anonymization and return the images with all the original data, as they were when uploaded? Or that is something that we must do with the anonymized images Outside of XNAT?

Thank you all

Rick Herrick

Nov 28, 2022, 12:31:23 PM11/28/22
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
XNAT does not provide a way to do that, by design: anonymization is meant to be a one-way path specifically so that no one can connect research data back to clinical data or correlate subjects back to identifiable patients.

It is possible to use external services for doing ID blinding or mapping (e.g. swapping MRNs for research IDs) but these sorts of integrations are not part of core XNAT.

Rick Herrick
Senior Software Developer