replacing TomCat in NRG XNAT?

a.m....@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2022, 10:01:29 AM9/6/22
to xnat_discussion
I've changed the Docker files for the NRG XNAT that I originally downloaded from
to use a later version of XNAT (the WAR image) and other things. Recently I was asked by my IT department to use a more recent version of TomCat, and for the versions that are compatible with my existing projects, the highest XNAT version that I can run is 1.8.4.1 (as I understand it, later XNAT versions use higher postgres versions).

So in the YML file I changed XNAT_VER from 1.7.5.3 (which was the highest on GitHub then) to 1.8.4.1, everything works fine. And in the xnat/Dockerfile I changed "FROM tomcat:7-jre8-alpine" to FROM tomcat:9-jre8-alpine". That also works!

But IT say that the latest TomCat 9 is 9.0.65 and the docker image supplies 9.0.20, so I need to upgrade further. However, there does not seem to be a 9.0.65-jre8-alpine image: jre8 is necessary I presume, alpine is necessary because the Dockerfile contains 'apk' commands that are alpine-specific.

Would it be possible to get these dockers from somewhere? Or build them myself instead of downloading?

It might be possible to use an image based on another distro (e.g. tomcat:9.0.65-jre8-openjdk-slim which looks Debian-based) but that would require further editing of the Dockerfile?

Would love to hear from you if you've tried this.

John Flavin

Sep 6, 2022, 10:59:01 AM9/6/22
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Just a clarification: The link you provided (https://github.com/NrgXnat/docker-images) is for Container Service images, not XNAT itself. Could you double check where you got the XNAT Dockerfile / image that you used as your starting point?

John Flavin
Backend Team Lead
He/Him

Charlie Moore

Sep 6, 2022, 2:01:42 PM9/6/22
to xnat_discussion
Hello there,

I don't have an answer to your overall question, but I do have one other minor point on this statement: "the highest XNAT version that I can run is 1.8.4.1 (as I understand it, later XNAT versions use higher postgres versions)." I don't think we've bumped the minimum postgres version at all recently. Where were you seeing that versions beyond 1.8.4.1 will require you to upgrade postgres?

Thanks,
Charlie Moore