Postgres 12.8 - Install from source with "NAMEDATALEN = 128" for truncated temp tables.

Richard Cole

Nov 10, 2021, 5:35:36 PM11/10/21
to xnat_discussion
We have a go-live planned for our XNAT Upgrade to 1.8.3, everything has gone well except the issue of 'NAMEDATALEN = 64' which is Postgres default setting.  I know that this issue is set to be fixed in 1.8.4, but not sure if we should wait for it's release or just fix the issue with Postgres.   Does anyone on the XNAT team see anything wrong or problematic with extending the NAMEDATALEN from 64 to 128 ?

Thanks.

Herrick, Rick

Nov 11, 2021, 11:42:52 AM11/11/21
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

I can’t think of any issues other than that that’s not a configuration or command-line setting for PostgreSQL: I think you actually have to rebuild it for that to take effect. In practical terms, that means you have to manage the service configuration and deployment manually rather than relying on the system package manager, which makes updating and patching difficult, etc.

We’ll be releasing XNAT 1.8.4 with the fix for this issue in January.

I guess the decision hinges on whether you think you’ll have enough projects, data types, usernames, etc. that are long enough that you’ll run into this issue before then.

--

Rick Herrick

XNAT Architect/Developer

Computational Imaging Laboratory