OHIF Viewer compatibility issue with Siemens XA30 platform and some GE images

Ajay Kurani

Mar 30, 2023, 11:26:19 PM3/30/23
to xnat_discussion
Hi XNAT Experts,
   I wanted to bring up a compatibility issue with the new Siemens XA30 software platform and OHIF viewer in case there are any suggestions.  Currently each slice is output as a separate dicom image.  This is especially problematic for resting state images as the viewer will try to load 20,000 images for our high resolution scans and end up timing out.  GE scanners also output images in a similar fashion.  I wanted to bring this up as it looks like this is the format Siemens will be using for the foreseeable future, in case this can be handled differently in the OHIF viewer such that the images can be loaded in mosaic format or at least per volume instead of individual slices.  Please let me know if is are any additional information needed to clarify the issue.

Thanks,
Ajay

Charlie Moore

Mar 31, 2023, 11:56:10 AM3/31/23
to xnat_discussion
Hi Ajay,

I've found these threads to be very informative: https://github.com/CMRR-C2P/MB/issues/312 and https://github.com/rordenlab/dcm2niix/issues/236 . It sounds like your data is being converted on the Siemens side into the "Interoperability" mode. In addition to the previous two threads, there's also https://github.com/rordenlab/dcm2niix/tree/master/Siemens which looks like it cautions pretty strongly that this type of conversion basically ruins your data. Do the workarounds in the first thread work to keep the original Enhanced SOP class intact?

Thanks,
Charlie Moore

Ajay Kurani

Apr 14, 2023, 11:47:44 AM4/14/23
to xnat_discussion
Hi Charlie,
    Thank you very much for the information!  I think we would like to keep the outputs the way they are especially as we are planning more advanced pipelines that can take advantage of individual slice dicom information for corrections.  My question is more along the lines of if there are any planned updates to OHIF viewer on XNAT such that not all 20,000 images are loaded into memory upon project load such that the page is more responsive.  For example, if there is a 500 volume buffer (or some value that makes sense) per image modality, this will allow all structural scans to be loaded just as they normally are, and legacy DTI and resting state scans without issue.  However, the newer XA30/GE data will only keep 500 volumes (or some value that makes sense) in buffer at a time such that the OHIF page loads quickly you can scroll through volumes.  Or perhaps the 500 volume buffer is the limit when the page is opened and when you actually click on the resting state or diffusion scan it begins to load a larger set into memory.  I'm not who is the best person to send this suggestion to or ask if there are any planned update of the OHIF XNAT viewer for this particular issue.  I wanted to get a sense of if something is in the works in which case we will implement that update or if we should guide users to download and convert these specific scans to NIFTI and view locally as the plan moving forward.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Ajay

Simon Doran

Apr 14, 2023, 9:00:05 PM4/14/23
to xnat_discussion
Hi Ajay,

  Could you raise an issue for this at https://bitbucket.org/icrimaginginformatics/ohif-viewer-xnat-plugin/issues?status=new&status=open and we will take a look.

  Best wishes,

Simon

Ajay Kurani

May 26, 2023, 2:13:55 PM5/26/23
to xnat_discussion
Hi Simon,
   Just as an update I did raise the issue.

Best,
Ajay