Exciting opportunity at the Institute of Cancer Research

Simon Doran

Dec 16, 2022, 7:11:08 PM12/16/22
to xnat_discussion
Dear All,

  You may know that the group at ICR works in partnership with the Flywheel and WashU teams to develop the XNAT-OHIF viewer. We are currently recruiting a new software engineer position for the group. Please do read the full text of the announcement below and please consider applying if you think you might be suitable.

  Best wishes,

Simon

graphic_for_LinkedIn.png

This is a unique opportunity to combine cutting-edge informatics development with next-generation searching and cohort-building for Artificial Intelligence research, supporting a recent grant from Cancer Research UK.

Who are we?

The Institute of Cancer Research, based in London, is one of the world’s most influential cancer research institutes with an outstanding record of achievement dating back more than 100 years. We are world leaders in radiology, precision radiotherapy, identifying cancer genes and discovering new cancer drugs. Together with our hospital partner The Royal Marsden, we are rated in the top four centres for cancer research and treatment worldwide.

As well as being a world-class research institute, we are a college of the University of London. ICR was rated second in the UK among all higher education institutions in the Research Excellence Framework (REF 2022) analysis.

What's the project?

We are seeking to appoint a Senior Software Engineer in Imaging Informatics to join the growing XNAT team at ICR. XNAT (https://www.xnat.org) is an open-source tool for supporting medical imaging research that has been adopted by many advanced imaging institutions around the world, not least by leading UK universities, and the team at ICR leads on development of XNAT’s zero-footprint web-based image viewer, which is a custom integration for XNAT of the Open Health Imaging Foundation (OHIF) viewer (https://ohif.org).

The role involves three main areas of open source software development:

  • Take the team's previous work described here to the next level by implementing new features and elements of our roadmap.

  • Create new tools for visualising and working with digital pathology images using XNAT.

  • Research into next-generation searching and cohort-building for Artificial Intelligence research, supporting a recent grant from Cancer Research UK.

What are we looking for?

Are you are in industry and looking for a fresh challenge in one of the world's leading cancer research organisations?

Are you already a postdoc with outstanding software skills and want to maximise the impact of your research by creating tools that will find their way into every leading academic centre in the imaging field?

Do you just love open-source and want to contribute to the community in a way that will ultimately benefit patients?

Our ideal new colleague will be someone with:

  • excellent software development skills
  • an extensive knowledge of a minimum of two high-level programming languages
  • a degree in computer science, physical sciences, mathematics, computational biology, radiography, nuclear medicine or a related field

Other desirable skills and experience are:

  • previous experience of computing in a medical field, particularly imaging
  • familiarity with the requirements of research and clinical environments
  • experience of handling data

Do get in touch with me (Simon...@icr.ac.uk) or apply directly here where you can find further information about the post.