XNAT Desktop Client trouble shooting

angel.m...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2022, 12:43:16 AM3/22/22
to xnat_discussion
Hi, we had the Desktop Client working for uploads and downloads. Recently it just stopped working. I tried installing the latest version as recommended (version 3.0.0) but this hasn't helped. What happens when you try to upload is it just sits there saying it's uploading but never makes any progress.

- the temp folder stays empty so no files are copied to the temp folder
- the new subject is successfully created in XNAT if you create one in the client
- I can't find any information in the logs
- there is no logging information in the uploader either
- I can't find anything in the Tomcat logs
- I tried creating a new empty project with no anonymisation and a new user assigned only to that project. This didn't help.
- I have tried both the zip and stream upload modes to n avail
- I have tried connecting on a different network outside the institution firewall

Any suggestions?
thanks
Angel

angel.m...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2022, 1:39:27 AM3/22/22
to xnat_discussion
So it looks like the problem is specific to one computer. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but application settings aren't cleared by this operation and deleting temp files didn't remove them. Does anyone know of locations other than the C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp folder or the install folder where the Client might be keeping files?

thanks

angel.m...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2022, 1:58:14 AM3/22/22
to xnat_discussion
I found there were additional files/references in
- AppData/Roaming
- the Registry

After deleting these and then reinstalling I am able to upload to XNAT again but I get this error (see attached image)
DesktopClientError.png

Will Horton

Mar 30, 2022, 11:51:30 AM3/30/22
to xnat_discussion
Angel,
It sounds like this is a client app problem, unrelated to your XNAT version. Can you provide any additional context? What version of Windows are you running? Is this the base OS on the machine or is Windows running in a VM? What differences are there between this environment and other installs where uploading is working?

Regards,
Will

Ajay Kurani

Apr 8, 2022, 1:56:12 PM4/8/22
to xnat_discussion
Hi All,
   I am experience the exact same problem using XNAT Desktop-Client v3.0.0 (upgraded today).  I am running on MacOSX Big Sur 11.6.2.  Please let me know if there are any suggestions.

Best,
Ajay

Ajay Kurani

Apr 8, 2022, 2:00:10 PM4/8/22
to xnat_discussion
To give a bit more context I can login and see the project.  I select a folder with subfolders that contain the dicoms.  I do get a warning about anonymization not set but can cancel and move forward to uploading.  It gets stuck at this point where the upload never happens and the subject is never created in XNAT so I assume a similar client issue.

Best,
Ajay

Ihor Mykhalevych

May 11, 2022, 4:49:13 AM5/11/22
to xnat_discussion
I have the similar situation. Removing the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\XNAT-Desktop-Client and reinstalling the client helped once. But the situation reoccured again. In my case it comes with the JavaScript error popup:
Zrzut ekranu 2022-05-11 102831.png

No errors in the console:
Zrzut ekranu 2022-05-11 103546.png
only 2 that occurred earlier:
Zrzut ekranu 2022-05-11 103512.png
the url there is - <XNATHost>/data/projects/<ProjectName>/config/anon/projects/<ProjectName>?format=json.

Attaching log files:
xnat-desktop-client-2022-05-10.log - from the previous time (before reinstalling)
xnat-desktop-client-2022-05-11.log - present

пʼятниця, 8 квітня 2022 р. о 20:00:10 UTC+2 Ajay Kurani пише:
xnat-desktop-client-2022-05-10.log
xnat-desktop-client-2022-05-11.log

Ihor Mykhalevych

May 11, 2022, 5:45:33 AM5/11/22
to xnat_discussion
I don't know if it matters, but I upload images to the XNAT v.1.7.5.6. This led to the upload through the temporary storage:
Zrzut ekranu 2022-05-11 105357.jpg

середа, 11 травня 2022 р. о 10:49:13 UTC+2 Ihor Mykhalevych пише:

Ihor Mykhalevych

May 11, 2022, 5:47:26 AM5/11/22
to xnat_discussion
And, by the way, this time only rremoving the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\XNAT-Desktop-Client helped, without reinstalling the client.

середа, 11 травня 2022 р. о 11:45:33 UTC+2 Ihor Mykhalevych пише:

Will Horton

Jun 29, 2022, 12:58:26 PM6/29/22
to xnat_discussion
Just checking in on this issue to say that we have been trying to chase this down for an embarrassingly long time, and so far have not been able to fully track down the issue. Here is what we know:
  • There appears to be two separate issues at play.
  • One breaking condition can occur from inefficient tracking of large quantities of files in active uploads. This can lead to a breaking condition where the tracking file becomes too large to write to. We've tracked this down and addressed it internally in our testing.
  • A more pernicious condition can occur where a long delay can be inserted between the uploading of files and the *realization* by the Desktop Client that all files are uploaded. This delay can be 30 minutes or longer in some cases. Given enough time, this condition will resolve itself, but it is a resource-dependent condition (i.e. it will take even longer or fail completely on machines with less available memory)
We are actively trying to track down this second condition now.

Ajay Kurani

Apr 14, 2023, 11:50:08 AM4/14/23
to xnat_discussion
Hi All,
   As an update to this thread we found one issue was that we were connecting to our web server which has a reverse proxy to our app server.  It looks like XNAT desktop client was not able to handle the reverse proxy, but why connecting directly to the app server we were able to connect and send data.  I wanted to see if there are any plans to add reverse proxy support to the XNAT desktop client?

Thanks,
Ajay

Rick Herrick

Apr 17, 2023, 10:20:53 AM4/17/23
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
The XNAT desktop client works with reverse proxies regularly. All of our dev stacks at WashU and Flywheel run through proxies (HAProxy in both cases, I believe), for example. The desktop client works with those just fine. There’s really not much we can do to support this: as far as any client (not just XDC) is concerned, the proxy server is the server, since the whole point of the proxy is to handle all traffic inbound to the application server on the backend.

Try searching this discussion group for issues related to proxy configuration: there are a number of reasons why uploads through the proxy might be failing, many of which have been discussed on here previously. I can't say with any degree of confidence what might be happening without more information about the proxy server itself, its configuration, and more info about why and how it’s failing.

Rick Herrick
Senior Software Developer

May 5, 2023, 3:41:26 AM5/5/23
to xnat_discussion
What worked for me;

  1. Install a good Uninstaller like “Advanced Uninstaller PRO”
  2. Using the installed Uninstaller, Uninstall XNAT DESKTOP CLIENT VERSION 3.2.3
  3. Install again last version of XNAT DESKTOP CLIENT VERSION 3.2.2
  4. Use installed version to test the upload.
  5. Upgrade again to Version 3.2.3 if you want.
Regards
Malik M Noman Ghafoor

Ajay Kurani

May 30, 2023, 12:06:44 AM5/30/23
to xnat_discussion
Hi All,
   Thanks for the feedback.  I initially tried the Mac removal from Applications, and reinstall but this did not work.  I tried the suggested complete removal using the advanced uninstaller on Mac to delete all other subfolders and then reinstalled and it worked.  I just downloaded the latest version without issue rather than the upgrade option and it all seems to work now.

Thanks for the suggests.
Best,
Ajay