[Standards] Status of XEP 0075

1 view

Markus Kohlhase

Jan 9, 2012, 6:32:18 PM1/9/12
to stan...@xmpp.org

Peter Saint-Andre

Feb 13, 2012, 5:06:45 PM2/13/12
to XMPP Standards
On 1/9/12 4:32 PM, Markus Kohlhase wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to discuss the status of XEP 0075 with you.
> My motivation to use it is to write an XMPP based application. It's a
> distributed system with a web client for managing some entities.
>
> There are several ways to communicate with application servers, e.g.
>
> - XEP 0009: Jabber RPC
> - XEP 0050: Ad-Hoc Commandd
> - XEP 0072: SOAP Over XMPP
>
> But there are some drawbacks.
> Jabber RPC/XML-RPC is an old and great protocol. But if you want to
> manage a lot of entities with its properties it's sometimes
> complicated to map the methods to the entities.
> Ad-Hoc Commands are designed for human interaction and support only
> simple data structures (XEP-0004). Of course you can use XEP 0244 but
> it's still not really suited for machine to machine interaction.
> SOAP is a modern way to interact between multiple systems but for my
> case its too bloated for my needs.
> In my opinion JOAP is a great protocol for handling a bunch of objects.
>
> My questions:
>
> - Are there any other similar protocols?

Perhaps IO Data:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0244.html

> - Is it worth to work on that protocol?

Maybe. :) It's very old and might not reflect up-to-date thinking about
interactions between entities.

> - What do you think should be improved?

I haven't looked at JOAP in 9 years, so I'm not sure what I'd change.
XEP-0244 is the most recent attempt to work on something similar.
XEP-0072 is indeed bloated, but you get all that SOAP stuff for free in
various libraries, so it might be worth a closer look.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

Dave Cridland

Feb 13, 2012, 5:54:22 PM2/13/12
to XMPP Standards
This reminds me - I had a chat with Evan on this, and he was enthusiastic about resurrecting the concept.
--
(Not at my desk)

Markus Kohlhase

Mar 10, 2012, 12:11:07 PM3/10/12