Blank number fields printing as zeros

Pete V

Mar 12, 2015, 10:49:39 AM3/12/15
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com

Hi

In xmpie uCreate I am having problems with blank fields printing as 0's (zeros)

If it is a column of text, blank fields are blank as they should be, but if the columns are numbers, then a blank field will show and print as a zero.

I am doing this in indesign CS6 on a mac, so i can only use a .csv or .txt.

I am quite new to xmpie and I cannot work it out. Even making a test .csv file I get the same result and opening it a text editor I can see there are no zeros in the blank fields, see below

123,abc

2345,sdfgsdfg

,sdfgsdfg

2345,

,

4568,

76798,

,sdfg

,

,

6785678,

,sdfg

,

5678,

,sdfg

658,

,sdfh

,

,

65785678,

I am sure this should be an easy fix, but it has me stumped...

George Marsh

Mar 12, 2015, 11:30:37 AM3/12/15
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Add a rule

If(|->[field]<>0)
{
  (|->[field]
}

couch

Mar 12, 2015, 8:52:57 PM3/12/15
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Another solution instead of using the rule, is to simply create a row of "dummy" or sample data as the first row, and put some text in the field instead of being a number or empty. This will force the whole column to be treated as text. and empty values will be empty string rather than 0.