uPlan/uProduce Copies of Spreads Based on Data

Jerry Clough

May 14, 2024, 4:17:25 PMMay 14
to XMPie Interest Group
Is there a way to have a spread print multiple copies using data to trigger that? So, based on what's in the data have pages 1 and 2 print 3 copies but then have pages 3 and 4 only print 4 copies. All the pages have graphics placed variably in the pages.

Thank you!
Jerry

west-digital.fr

May 15, 2024, 12:27:41 AMMay 15
to XMPie Interest Group
With XMPie's "AutoFlow" feature, you may indeed be able to "multiply the bread" (as somebody else already did in the past).

I would create an InDesign Text object (color = white, or located in the page margin, so that it won't print), large enough to contain only one character ("X", per instance).
Then, tag it with a Text Content Object.
Then, set a Rule to this Text Content Object, that generates one given character (per instance: "X") per copy you want + 1.
In other words:
If you want 0 copy of your spread (= only the original), simply generate "X".
If you want 1 copy of your spread, simply generate "XX".
Etc.
In my second example, your first "X" character will kindly fill your InDesign Text object, thus generating no specific copy.
Then, along with XMPie's "AutoFlow" feature, your second "X" character will kindly force the XMPie composition engine to add one copy of the spread.

The same may be implemented, based on Table Content Objects.

rotero9

May 15, 2024, 7:56:10 AMMay 15
to XMPie Interest Group
@jerry I did this 2 ways. If you don't have access to uPlan you can do it using a switch statement. I created this variable:

switch(AsString(|->[ador_name]))
{
    case "1":
        "X"
    case "2":
        "X X"
    case "3":
        "X X X"
    case "4":
        "X X X X"

    default:
        "X"
}

If you have uPlan, I used a javascript function, which @west-digital kindly helped me figure out how to use properly.

Jerry Clough

May 16, 2024, 1:40:07 PMMay 16
to XMPie Interest Group
Thank you both. It all worked great. I had a little issue in that the pages are two-sided and bleed on all four sides, but I was finally able to work that out. Thanks again!

ROBERT HOPFNER

May 17, 2024, 12:38:42 AMMay 17
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com, Jerry Clough
This is a one page document with 4 layers? Each layer has layer visibility and variable elements on each layer. Control it all by the data.

So page one is layer one
page 2 is layer one
page 3 is one...
Page4 is layer two
Page5 is layer two
Page6 is layer two
Page7 is layer 3 etc...

i used to do a 12 page booklet with about 27-32 dynamic pages. The data was insane...