Generate at least one mold spread instance

Sarah Magat

Jul 13, 2018, 4:53:21 AM7/13/18
to XMPie Interest Group

 Guys,

I hope you could help me..

Basically I am using the Dynamic Story Properties Auto Flow.. and it does overflow the text..  But my problem is my images and other text are duplicating..

How can I create a special design for the generated page?

Please help...

Thank you

Sarah Magat

Didgigo/Koolivoo

Tyrone

Jul 13, 2018, 6:27:04 AM7/13/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Setup your second page as the mould that will stop the duplication

Sent from my iPhone

Sarah Magat

Jul 13, 2018, 9:27:04 PM7/13/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tyrone,

How can I setup the second page as the mould?

On 13 Jul 2018, at 6:46 pm, Sarah Magat <sarah...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Guys,

I hope you could help me..

Basically I am using the Dynamic Story Properties Auto Flow.. and it does overflow the text..  But my problem is my images and other text are duplicating..

How can I create a special design for the generated page?

Please help...

Thank you

Sarah Magat

Didgigo/Koolivoo

couch

Jul 13, 2018, 10:20:07 PM7/13/18
to XMPie Interest Group
Create a second page in the document.
Design the layout the way you want it to look.
Link the text box on the first page, to the text box on the second page.
Before the next step, i recommend to turn the dynamic display off. - At the bottom of the uCreate Print panel (to the left of the record number) is a drop-down list - set it to "none".
Right-click on the text frame and open the dynamic story length panel again.
Change the mold spread to the second page you created.
If you have some records where only one page is needed, then uncheck the box "generate at least one mold spread instance"
After clicking OK, set the data display from None back to what it was before.
If you unchecked the box, you will still see the page in InDesign, but when you print, the second page will only be used if text overflows onto the second page.
(I recommend turning off the data display for this because it can be confusing to select the right page for the mold when the InDesign page is displaying multiple dynamic pages already.)

Sarah Magat

Jul 15, 2018, 11:26:39 PM7/15/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Couch,

Seems like in the mold spread drop down is not showing the second page option.

Sarah Magat

Jul 15, 2018, 11:32:53 PM7/15/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Couch! Got it!! thank you so muchhhhh!

Sarah Magat

Jul 16, 2018, 1:01:53 AM7/16/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Couch,

So I already solved the problem about creating a generated page uniquely. So that it will not duplicated.

but when the text is not overflowing, we only need one page to show. When I tried it for one page data only it shows an extra page which is a blank page.

couch

Jul 16, 2018, 6:12:44 PM7/16/18
to XMPie Interest Group
Did you try printing the document? You will still see the page in InDesign, but it should disappear when you print - so long as you have un-ticked the "Generate at least one mold spread instance" checkbox.

The other possibility is that there is some trailing space/tab/return which is pushing over to the last page which is causing XMPie to think the page is needed, but not showing anything on there.

Sarah Magat

Jul 16, 2018, 8:30:09 PM7/16/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Hey Couch thank you so much! it worked!

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 6:12 AM, couch <sco...@gmail.com> wrote:
Did you try printing the document? You will still see the page in InDesign, but it should disappear when you print - so long as you have un-ticked the "Generate at least one mold spread instance" checkbox.

The other possibility is that there is some trailing space/tab/return which is pushing over to the last page which is causing XMPie to think the page is needed, but not showing anything on there.

Sarah Magat

Jul 17, 2018, 8:40:28 PM7/17/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Hey Couch,

So basically I create a second page for mold... What I can do to create another mold because some of the overflow text flow upto 3 pages. What happen right now is the 3rd page copied the 2nd page.

couch

Jul 17, 2018, 9:50:06 PM7/17/18
to XMPie Interest Group
According to this page of the user guide: http://help.xmpie.com/uCreatePrint/v.9.3/Help/en/index.htm#t=Dynamic_Properties_of_Design_Objects%2FUse_Dynamic_Story_Length_Handling.htm

Mold spread ... "will be added as many times as needed per recipient to the Document, in order to fix the overflow of the Auto Flow story."

IE the feature is not designed to add different page designs for different overlow pages.

The only solution I know is to not use the Autoflow feature, but to design extra pages into the document and use visibility rules to turn on or off pages based on some logic... In this case you need to be able to use some database value to identify how many pages are required for each record/recipient.

Two examples:

1) if your main text box is populated with a text file ADOR with information about different destinations, and you know that destination1.txt takes up one page and destination2.txt takes up 3 pages, you can use that logic to control the visibiilty adors on the pages.

2) if your main text box is populated with a Table ADOR, you can use a query in a variable to get the number or rows in the table for the current recipient and based on the number of rows that will fit on a page,  you can create logic to control the visibility adors on the pages.

Sarah Magat

Jul 17, 2018, 10:00:43 PM7/17/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Couch,

Thanks for this.. But what if my Text File Addor takes up to one page only? are the other pages will show up?

Sarah Magat

Jul 17, 2018, 10:14:07 PM7/17/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Couch,

Are the visibility addor can use for pages? is there a way how to on/off pages?

couch

Jul 17, 2018, 10:17:32 PM7/17/18
to XMPie Interest Group

Sarah Magat

Jul 17, 2018, 10:48:06 PM7/17/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Couch,

I tried it, but it only says "Active Layer".. even I selected the spread.

couch

Jul 17, 2018, 10:59:21 PM7/17/18
to XMPie Interest Group
If you double click on the visibility ADOR it will try to use layers.

To use visibility ador on a page/spread, use the pages panel, and select the visibility ador via the pages panel menu.

You can refer to the uCreate Print user guide or campus videos if you need more help.

Sarah Magat

Jul 17, 2018, 11:10:57 PM7/17/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Coach!!!!! I'm so happpyyy! It worked!! using visibility of pages!!!! This is amazing!!! Thank you so much Coach!!!!!!

Sarah Magat

Jul 25, 2018, 8:03:11 PM7/25/18
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Couch,

I am using now the Visibility to turn on and off page... It works fine, but is there a way that can detect if my text overflow? so it could show the page and if the text is not overflow the visibility of the 2nd page is off.

Any thoughts?

couch

Jul 25, 2018, 8:28:11 PM7/25/18
to XMPie Interest Group
There is no way for the plan to know if the text will over flow - the plan is parsed before the document is touched.

Therefore, the only way is for you to create some logic to change your visibility adors based on the amount of text in the story. EG by the length of the database values / the text file imported or the # of rows in a table / etc.