Variable length booklet with dynamic page numbers and contents page

Andrew Naden

Mar 27, 2012, 1:09:29 PM3/27/12
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Hello all

Just started at a new company.. and the first project is a variable length booklet with dynamic page numbers and contents page for a University Prospectus. Very nice!

Been looking around and found XMPiePGE as a way of doing the page numbers - is that a good start?

It must have been done before and I don't really want to start from scratch...  Been through the forum and there's lots of mentions but nothing specific. Does anyone have experience of this kind of journey and willing to impart their top tips for the common good?

Let me know.

Best Regards

Andrew

Bill

Mar 27, 2012, 3:34:40 PM3/27/12
to XMPie Interest Group
Hello Andrew,

Have you got a copy of XMPie's "Technote-0010-Using Programmable
Graphic Elements.pdf"?
It was written back in 2009, but I remember it contains rather clear
examples regarding page numbering.

Kind regards,

GB

Timothy Perrett

Mar 27, 2012, 4:10:19 PM3/27/12
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't use PGE for that - wouldn't it be better to use the contents functionality within indesign? I'd say thats the usual way to do it. Think there's a technote about that somewhere as well... Bill may be more informed on that that me though :-)

Tim

Walter Van waard (gmail)

Mar 27, 2012, 4:26:06 PM3/27/12
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
You are right Tim. We use Indesign with xmpies dynamic paging in the ucreate plugin. Elements with overflow create a new page automagically :-). Elements that you do not want on a certain page can be turned on and of with visibilities. do other option would be creating pdfs of all content pages and by using a database per recipient turn the page on or of with a visibility, so the contents would be dynamic in that way...we produced a 80 to 100 page magazine with that trick.

Met vriendelijke groet, Kind Regards,
Walter van Waard

Duinroosweide 4
3448 ZB. WOERDEN
+31 (6) 246 26 883

==========================
Sent from a electronic device
developed in de first year of
the second decade of the 21e
century from a company called
Apple.
==========================

Guillaume Besnier

Mar 28, 2012, 2:18:07 AM3/28/12
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
My apology: I thought Andrew's main point was page *numbering* in a
dynamic page document (and not dynamic pages only, driven by
Visibilities, etc.).

The PGE Technote is the only XMPie document of my knowledge, which
specifically refers to page numbering, but I must confess I haven't got
the comprehensive list of XMPie Technotes.

Mar 28, 2012, 2:32:59 AM3/28/12
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Have you ever looked at XMPie Customer Support Portal? The search for "Technote PGE" is a hit, and you will find sample files.
But the page numbers generated by this technique will only appear in the print edition (or in the PDF), after the PostScript code of the EPS-file was interpreted by Adobe Distiller or any other PostScript-RIP.

Regards
Yosimo