Help with an ordered list

Ian Hodgson

Jan 21, 2023, 3:01:35 AM1/21/23
to XLingPaper
Hi folks. I have an ordered list with 10 list items. In between items 7 and 8 I want to insert a paragraph element that is not part of the list. I tried to do this byː
  1. having 2 ordered lists with a p in between each list. But I don't know how to make the 2nd list start at 8 instead of 1.
  2. having 1 list (1-10) then inserting a p element at the end of li 7, but this formats the p element to the same indented margin of the list items, rather than the p element being formated the same as the normal text.
I couldn't find the answer in the user doc. Thanks for suggestions.

Ian

Hugh Paterson III

Jan 21, 2023, 4:38:01 PM1/21/23
to xling...@googlegroups.com
Can you have two separate lists and on the second one start the numbering at a value greater than one?

All the best,
-Hugh

Sent from my iPhone

Bruce Cox

Jan 21, 2023, 7:25:22 PM1/21/23
to 'Seth Johnston' via XLingPaper
That was Ian's first option, which does not appear to be possible (not mentioned in the documentation, lack of relevant attributes on the ol and li items).
I had a brief attempt at working with Ian's second approach. I tried to add a hangingIndent element as part of the li element, then tweak the hangingIndent and initialIndent attributes to get the paragraph in the right place. This kind of succeeded for the HTML output, the the PDF output put the hangingIndent paragraph on the same line as the previous paragraph, and then seemed to indent the next item. In any case, it would be an evil and ugly hack that completely goes against the spirit of structured documents.
My suspicion is that there is no satisfactory way of doing what Ian wants.
bruce

Hugh Paterson III

Jan 21, 2023, 7:54:21 PM1/21/23
to xling...@googlegroups.com
In the spirit of structured documents, one needs to ask why is this the preferred approach?
It seems as if the paragraph would be discussion about some of the list elements. Should Should the discussion all happen in the same general flow, or should discussion happened mid list?  It’s as if the list is being treated the same as a figure or a table.

Ian Hodgson

Jan 21, 2023, 11:50:48 PM1/21/23
to XLingPaper
Thanks for your replies, and thanks Bruce for having a little play around with a solution. Hugh has surmised correctly about what I'm trying to do. It's actually a suggested teaching sequence for L1 literacy education, and the part that I want to include as a normal paragraph discusses an issue that becomes pertinent after the first 7 points in the sequence. It is my decision to put this discussion here, before the final 3 points, because it increases the coherence and clarity of my line of argument. But putting the discussion after the list wouldn't be the end of the world, so maybe that's what I'll do.

Thanks again.

Ian

Bruce Cox

Jan 22, 2023, 10:04:20 AM1/22/23
to 'Seth Johnston' via XLingPaper
Hi Ian,
There is another option, which might work each point and the intermediate discussion is only a single paragraph. That is, you could format everything into a table with two columns.
  • The discussion entries will be a row with a single <td> element that spans two columns, and width set to the sum of the above two widths (in my example 6in).
  • The table element should have border attribute set to 0, unless you want a horizontal line above and below the table.
The discussion paragraph would not have indentation, and I'm not sure how page breaks will work out.
My dummy output looked like this:

Cheers, bruce