middle dot

Ian Hodgson

Jan 26, 2023, 5:24:20 AM1/26/23
to XLingPaper
Hello folks.

I have used the character 'middle dot' between words in multiple word glosses, but in the pdf output it shows up as a space (thus increasing my word count beyond what I am permitted). I can just go back and put full stops/periods in there, but using middle dot would be good.

Anyone point me in the right direction with this? Thanks.

Ian

XLingPaper

Jan 26, 2023, 10:59:43 AM1/26/23
to xling...@googlegroups.com, Ian Hodgson
The character that shows as a 'middle dot' in XXE is a non-breaking space character.  These do appear as spaces in the output.  I'm not sure, though, whether they are considered to be a part of a word or not by word counting algorithms.  I would expect word counting algorithms to use 'normal' whitespace in finding words and 'normal' whitespace is usually considered to be space, newline, and tab characters.

Maybe you could do a small test to see whether non-breaking spaces are considered part of a word or not by whatever tool you are using to do a word count.

--Andy

Hugh Paterson III

Jan 26, 2023, 7:09:26 PM1/26/23
to xling...@googlegroups.com, Ian Hodgson
Nbsp should always count as a space.  The non-breaking is a secondary Unicode attribute.

Maybe a non-breaking hypen is what is needed?

--
All the best,
-Hugh

Sent from my iPhone