check all gloss elements

Ian Hodgson

Jan 25, 2023, 8:05:18 AM1/25/23
to XLingPaper
Is there a quick way, other than manually scanning my entire document, to check all gloss (and abbreviation ref) elements, maybe something akin to a text search that takes me through the whole document showing me consecutive instances of my search item?

Ian

Bruce Cox

Jan 25, 2023, 8:41:09 AM1/25/23
to 'Seth Johnston' via XLingPaper
Try this:
Select the root element (i.e., click the leftmost node in the nodebar.
Choose the menu Search > Find and Replace Element > Find Element...
In the dialog that open, to find a reference to an abbreviation vPOSS, set the fields to:

having attribute abbr
Equals vPOSS

and click Find over and over.

That may be (part of) what you want.
Cheers, bruce

On 25/01/2023 2:05:21 PM, Ian Hodgson <ian_h...@sil.org> wrote:

Is there a quick way, other than manually scanning my entire document, to check all gloss (and abbreviation ref) elements, maybe something akin to a text search that takes me through the whole document showing me consecutive instances of my search item?

Ian

Ian Hodgson

Jan 26, 2023, 12:01:29 AM1/26/23
to XLingPaper
Thanks Bruce. This is exactly what I needed.

Ian Hodgson

Jan 26, 2023, 12:21:04 AM1/26/23
to XLingPaper
Is there a way to dock the search for element dialogue box, like the search for text box, in the right panel?

Ian Hodgson

Jan 26, 2023, 12:29:00 AM1/26/23
to XLingPaper
I've found another way. I made my element search into a temporary macro, which found consecutive gloss elements on a quick key-press, closed the find element dialogue box, allowing me to edit, then just played the macro again. I'm beginning to get the hang of things. Appreciate this little XLP comminity.

Ian

XLingPaper

Jan 26, 2023, 10:50:07 AM1/26/23
to xling...@googlegroups.com, Ian Hodgson
Yes, a macro can definitely be useful.  Thanks for bringing this up for everyone.

There is some information on defining an XXE keyboard macro at the end of section 11.35 "Change a set of abbrRef elements to refer to a different abbreviation" in the user documentation.

For the case of the find element dialog, you can use it to find the first instance, close the dialog, and then use Search menu item / Find and Replace Element / Find Next Element.  You can even include these menu steps in your XXE keyboard macro.

--Andy