Re: [XLingPaper] Digest for xlingpaper@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Kevin Penner

Mar 21, 2024, 8:27:39 PMMar 21
to xling...@googlegroups.com
I’ve updated to XLP 3.14.0, XMLMind 8.2.0, macOS 14.3.1, TeX Live 2023. I’m trying to print a chapter from my dissertation which had PDFs of autosegmental derivations inserted as chart elements in an example element. They came out fine before, but now they are HUGE, even though the actual page size of the PDF is very small (1.79 in x 0.79 in).

Before:
PastedGraphic-3.png
PastedGraphic-4.png
PastedGraphic-1.png
PastedGraphic-2.png
der-L_delinking.pdf

Kevin Penner

Mar 22, 2024, 11:23:58 AMMar 22
to xling...@googlegroups.com
It worked! Thanks, Steve. I added a width adjustment to the XeLaTeXspecial field and that constrained the PDF in the output. (I found that I had to use a value that was 75% of the width of the PDF page width, but that will vary from situation to situation.)

The vertical adjustment is needed to add space between the example heading and the chart (PDF), and I found that you can stack properties in the XeLaTeXspecial field—e.g. width='0.5475in'; vertical-adjustment='3pt'—to achieve both effects. I separated them with a semicolon, but there may be other ways.

Alas, now I have to go back and add width adjustments to all the PDFs in my entire dissertation. 😕

Kevin

On Mar 21, 2024, at 7:17 PM, Steve Marlett <steve_...@sil.org> wrote:

Hi. I’m surprised to see the vertical adjustment for controlling the size. Have you been able to use that in the past? I have used width=‘1in’  (for example) in the XLaTeXspecial field.

—Steve

XLingPaper

Mar 26, 2024, 11:37:10 AMMar 26
to xling...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Kevin.

As Steve notes, there's a different way to control the size of images when using the 2020 version of XeLaTeX.  This and some other differences are documented at https://software.sil.org/xlingpaper/differences-between-xlingpaper-with-tex-live-2010-and-tex-live-2020/.

I've tried to keep things the same, but when Apple decided that it would no longer allow 32-bit applications to run on its newer operating systems, we had to move from the 32-bit XeLaTeX 2010 to the 64-bit XeLaTex 2020.

--Andy