Installation?

michae...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2015, 7:58:45 AM2/14/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
Is there an installation guide somewhere?

Running on OS X 10.9.5
Cloned Xiki from github

I get the error "Error raised in Ruby" when running ./bin/xsh

I thought that the version of emacs might be too old, so I modified xsh to use the following, which is what gets used normally:

emacs="/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs"
emacsclient="/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin-x86_64-10_9/emacsclient"

With these I get "error running timer"

Didn't see anything searching through the group archives.

thanks

Craig

Feb 16, 2015, 1:55:00 AM2/16/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
> emacs="/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs"

Probably not a good idea.  Change the line back and try again.  Add the "-i" option and see if you get a better error:

./bin/xsh -i

--Craig

michae...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2015, 7:16:07 AM2/16/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com

with the -i open i get a:
welcome/

at the top of the screen. At the bottom it says:
"Error raised in Ruby. Type Escape+R to reload or Escape+L to show the log with the error message"

When I type escape+L (had to do it several times, sometimes it just types an 'L') it tells me that ~/bin/xiki/commands/ome.menu doesn't exist. and it doesn't. I double checked on github, just in case something went wrong with my clone, but i didn't see it there either.

I tried grepping for the file it was looking for and it doesn't appear in the source anywhere that I can find.

the buffer won't let me copy out of it for some reason

Craig Muth

Feb 16, 2015, 4:29:34 PM2/16/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
> When I type escape+L (had to do it several times, sometimes it just types an
> 'L')

You have to do press L pretty quickly after you type Escape. An
escape by itself is considered just a cancel. I'm going to make it
more forgiving when there's an error though. If your terminal is set
up correctly, you can type alt+L (or Option+L) instead of escape L.

> it tells me that ~/bin/xiki/commands/ome.menu doesn't exist. and it
> doesn't. I double checked on github, just in case something went wrong with
> my clone, but i didn't see it there either.

Possibly you accidentally deleted the "welc" in "welcome", while
trying to type Option+L.

> the buffer won't let me copy out of it for some reason

Try Ctrl+C to copy. (In xsh the mode to intercept mouse events is
enabled, and depending on your terminal might interfere with the
normal way of copying.)

--Craig

> On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:55:00 AM UTC-5, Craig wrote:
>>
>> > emacs="/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs"
>>
>> Probably not a good idea. Change the line back and try again. Add the
>> "-i" option and see if you get a better error:
>>
>> ./bin/xsh -i
>>
>> --Craig
>>

>> On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 4:58:45 AM UTC-8, michae...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there an installation guide somewhere?
>>>
>>> Running on OS X 10.9.5
>>> Cloned Xiki from github
>>>
>>> I get the error "Error raised in Ruby" when running ./bin/xsh
>>>
>>> I thought that the version of emacs might be too old, so I modified xsh
>>> to use the following, which is what gets used normally:
>>>
>>> emacs="/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs"
>>>
>>> emacsclient="/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin-x86_64-10_9/emacsclient"
>>>
>>> With these I get "error running timer"
>>>
>>> Didn't see anything searching through the group archives.
>>>
>>> thanks

Michael Bond

Feb 16, 2015, 7:59:35 PM2/16/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 16, 2015, at 4:29 PM, Craig Muth <craig...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> When I type escape+L (had to do it several times, sometimes it just types an
>> 'L')
>
> You have to do press L pretty quickly after you type Escape. An
> escape by itself is considered just a cancel. I'm going to make it
> more forgiving when there's an error though. If your terminal is set
> up correctly, you can type alt+L (or Option+L) instead of escape L.

Option-L enters Ò
option-l enters ¬

Those are the system wide defaults for MacOS.

> Try Ctrl+C to copy. (In xsh the mode to intercept mouse events is
> enabled, and depending on your terminal might interfere with the
> normal way of copying.)

Ctrl+C is a strange key binding for copying on anything that isn’t Windows. Ctrl+C copies in the emacs buffer, I can yank it back out with ctrl-y, but it doesn’t place it in the system copy and paste buffer.

I tried switching to Apple’s Terminal app, (i normally live in iTerm). I’m able to copy and paste out using terminal:

19:51:39:321 Error: No such file or directory - /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/commands/ome.menu (Errno::ENOENT)
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:742:in `instance_eval'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/handlers/menu_handler.rb:8:in `handle'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/menu.rb:1087:in `block in handle'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/menu.rb:1082:in `each'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/menu.rb:1082:in `handle'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/menu.rb:949:in `expand_menufied'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/menu.rb:867:in `expand'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/expander.rb:262:in `block in expand'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/expander.rb:259:in `each'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/expander.rb:259:in `expand'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/launcher.rb:808:in `launch'
from /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/lib/xiki/core/launcher.rb:617:in `open'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/lib/xiki.rb:288:in `init'
from (eval):4:in `el4r_boot'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:742:in `instance_eval'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:742:in `el4r_boot'
from /tmp/el4r:1:in `el4r_ruby_eval'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:867:in `instance_eval'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:867:in `el4r_ruby_eval'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:811:in `el4r_get'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:787:in `block in el4r_wait_expr'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:855:in `el4r_with_call'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:784:in `el4r_wait_expr'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:767:in `block in el4r_wait_expr_loop'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:765:in `catch'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:765:in `el4r_wait_expr_loop'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:555:in `main'
from /Users/mrbond/bin/xiki/misc/emacs/el4r/el4r-instance:1136:in `<main>'

Michael Bond
michae...@gmail.com
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Xiki" group.

Craig Muth

Feb 17, 2015, 1:29:23 AM2/17/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
> Option-L enters Ò
> option-l enters ¬
> Those are the system wide defaults for MacOS.

Yeah, those are the unfortunate defaults for Terminal.app. I think
iTerms has option as meta (eg. escape) by default.

It should be better now though, if you grab the latest. It occurred to
me I could map "¬" and the M-r special character directly, since it's
probably pretty rare someone would type them in a shell console. I
just did a push with these new mappings. Please grab the latest and
see if it works better.

>> Try Ctrl+C to copy. (In xsh the mode to intercept mouse events is
>> enabled, and depending on your terminal might interfere with the
>> normal way of copying.)
>
> Ctrl+C is a strange key binding for copying on anything that isn’t Windows.

I think Ctrl+C is the standard key for copying in linux desktop apps.
Due to terminal restrictions, I can't map Command+C and Command+V,
etc.

> Ctrl+C copies in the emacs buffer, I can yank it back out with ctrl-y
> but it doesn’t place it in the system copy and paste buffer.

I've got Ctrl+C configured to paste to and from the the system (osx or
linux) clipboard. Assuming xsh loads completely, this should work.

> Error: No such file or directory - /Users/mrbond/Documents/Dropbox/z.App Syncing/Mackup/bin/xiki/commands/ome.menu (Errno::ENOENT)

If it's trying to run "ome.menu", that would likely indicate there's
"ome" on your screen that you're trying to expand. Which are probably
the last 3 letters of "welcome". Can you tell me the steps your doing
to get this error, and what you see on the screen? Maybe email me or
stop into the #xiki irc channel tomorrow and we can set up a screen
sharing session (google hangouts?) and I can observe, if that's cool.

--Craig

Steve Baker

Feb 17, 2015, 4:19:59 PM2/17/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
Any time two characters have to be typed rapidly like that (ESC+L), it's normal to offer an option to configure the timeout.   The arrow keys do that in some terminal settings - and the delay then is configured in the terminfo stuff.

Craig Muth

Feb 17, 2015, 11:44:31 PM2/17/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
That might not be a bad way to handle it. I'll keep an eye on it
while watching how people deal with it. Now that I updated that
message to say "Alt+R" instead of "Escape+R" (and made Alt+R work even
with the default Terminal.app settings) it should be less prone to
confusion.

--Craig