Need help on getting xsh to work in Fedora 21

Lorenzo Faleschini

Feb 12, 2015, 4:24:27 AM2/12/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

I'm using Fedora 21, cloned the git repo, ran xsh in the bin folder, it asked for deps, so I installed ruby and emacs, then I started it again but I got this error...
here's a pastebin:

can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'm I supposed to install xiki as a gem? I just followed the instructions on the readme.

Eric Simard

Feb 12, 2015, 12:35:33 PM2/12/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
add the path to xiki/bin to $PATH before trying to run it.

Lorenzo Faleschini

Feb 13, 2015, 4:34:09 AM2/13/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
ok, that worked, now I need to find some spare time to walk trough the tutorial...

Craig

Feb 16, 2015, 1:57:30 AM2/16/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
It should now work without having to do that workaround.

> now I need to find some spare time to walk trough the tutorial

The tutorial is a little weak at the moment, but try starting here:

  $ xsh -help

--Craig

Lorenzo Faleschini

Feb 16, 2015, 3:13:15 AM2/16/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
 I needed to put the path i $PATH indeed to make it work, maybe because I'm using i3wm and urxvt instead of Gnome.

I'll check out the tutorial as soon as my customers will allow me to breath... thanks Craig.

Craig Muth

Feb 16, 2015, 4:31:50 PM2/16/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
> I needed to put the path i $PATH indeed to make it work

What error are you getting now, when you start with "$ xsh -i"?

> I'll check out the tutorial as soon as my customers will allow me to
> breath... thanks Craig.

The tutorial is a bit lacking for now, but try "$ xsh -help"

--Craig
> "Xiki" group.

Lorenzo Faleschini

Feb 17, 2015, 9:30:20 AM2/17/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
if from bash run "xsh -i" I go into the xiki shell, then when i quit (Ctrl+Q)
i see this error over the prompt

which: no apt-get in (/home/penzo/bin:/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/local/go/bin:/home/penzo/.local/bin:/home/penzo/bin:/home/penzo/code/xiki/bin:/usr/local/bin)

by the way if I run "$ xsh -i" in the xiki shell
(and I feel such a noob that I can't even to paste it.. I can select but not paste outside of xsh. so I screenshot... shame on me!)

Immagine in linea 1

If I give Ctrl+Enter to execute (as I saw in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUR_eUVcABg) instead of executing "tutorial" (for example) it gives me this

Immagine in linea 3

if i doubleclick on "tutorial" I have the correct one
Immagine in linea 4

sorry for being such a noob but I find myself a bit lost without a quick "getting started" ... I know you're working on it and I'm thankful for this.

Craig Muth

Feb 20, 2015, 3:57:34 PM2/20/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
> if from bash run "xsh -i" I go into the xiki shell, then when i quit
> (Ctrl+Q)
> i see this error over the prompt
>
> which: no apt-get in
> (/home/penzo/bin:/usr/lib64/qt- [...]

I think that's fixed now, if you grabbed the latest - I just did a
push. (I'm guessing maybe you're a Fedora user?)

> by the way if I run "$ xsh -i" in the xiki shell
> (and I feel such a noob that I can't even to paste it.. I can select but not
> paste outside of xsh. so I screenshot... shame on me!)

If you do a "yum install xclip" that should make Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V
copy and paste in xsh using the OS clipboard. If you're doing it via
a vm it may not work though. I'm working on coming up with a way to
toggle mouse control on and off, for the xsh in a vm or remote
scenario.

> If I give Ctrl+Enter to execute (as I saw in this video

That's out-of-date. The current key to expand in xsh is Ctrl+X.
Unfortunately, terminals don't pass on Ctrl+Enter.

> sorry for being such a noob

Not at all - thanks for helping me sort through the bugs!

--Craig

Eric Simard

Feb 21, 2015, 4:16:56 PM2/21/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, terminals don't pass on Ctrl+Enter.
What do you mean?
I am asking because if I understnd correctly it is fixable (at least in Linux)

Craig Muth

Feb 21, 2015, 5:53:01 PM2/21/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
Most terminals only pass a limited set of keys and modifiers to
terminal apps. It's annoying in some ways, but is useful in that it's
a clear separation between what keys terminal programs should use and
which keys are mapped to the fun/useful stuff the terminal program
itself does.

> it is fixable (at least in Linux)

It's possible, I suppose, depending on the terminal you're using. To
test it out, run "$ emacs -nw -Q", then Ctrl-h, k, Ctrl-return. If it
shows that you just typed "RET" instead of "C-RET" or something like
that, that means your terminal just passed the Return and not the
Control, which is what's happening with the terminals I've tried.

--Craig

Lorenzo Faleschini

Feb 23, 2015, 10:31:28 AM2/23/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
> if from bash run "xsh -i" I go into the xiki shell, then when i quit
> (Ctrl+Q)
> i see this error over the prompt
>
> which: no apt-get in
> (/home/penzo/bin:/usr/lib64/qt- [...]

I think that's fixed now, if you grabbed the latest - I just did a
push. (I'm guessing maybe you're a Fedora user?)

yes, fixed now
I'm quite distro agnostic... but yes, at this time I'm using Fedora.

> by the way if I run "$ xsh -i" in the xiki shell
> (and I feel such a noob that I can't even to paste it.. I can select but not
> paste outside of xsh. so I screenshot... shame on me!)

If you do a "yum install xclip" that should make Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V
copy and paste in xsh using the OS clipboard.  If you're doing it via
a vm it may not work though. I'm working on coming up with a way to
toggle mouse control on and off, for the xsh in a vm or remote
scenario.

installed xclip,

using urxvt terminal
for selecting text I have to use Shift+MouseClick&Drag4Selection than Middleclick somewhere to paste

using gnome-terminal
selecting with MouseClick&Drag4Selection is ok, then CTRL+c and CTRL+v to paste somewhere else (but middleclick paste does not work)

> If I give Ctrl+Enter to execute (as I saw in this video

That's out-of-date.  The current key to expand in xsh is Ctrl+X.
Unfortunately, terminals don't pass on Ctrl+Enter.

got it

> sorry for being such a noob

Not at all - thanks for helping me sort through the bugs!

Hope to help somehow, let me know If you need some more testing on this copypaste or other

Craig Muth

Feb 23, 2015, 12:22:19 PM2/23/15
to xi...@googlegroups.com
> yes, fixed now

Great!

> using urxvt terminal
> for selecting text I have to use Shift+MouseClick&Drag4Selection than
> Middleclick somewhere to paste
>
> using gnome-terminal
> selecting with MouseClick&Drag4Selection is ok, then CTRL+c and CTRL+v to
> paste somewhere else (but middleclick paste does not work)

Btw you can type Ctrl+Space and then use the arrow keys to select
something. Then you'll want to use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy and
paste.

For iTerm users, I just noticed you can hold down Option while
dragging to let iTerm handle the selection, then use Command+C and
Command+V. If there's any line-wrapping, it's better to use Ctrl+C
and Ctrl+V though.

> Hope to help somehow, let me know If you need some more testing on this
> copypaste or other

Thanks for the offer to help! Maybe make a simple xiki command for
your favorite tool, and contribute it back!

--Craig