EBSCO API issues

John Wynstra

Oct 8, 2012, 6:50:55 PM10/8/12
to xerxes...@googlegroups.com
We are utilizing the EBSCO API with Xerxes 1.8 and just recently we have been having connection errors.  Is anyone else who is using EBSCO api experience this?  It started last week--only seldom and intermittently.  Today we have been unable to use it, and I have had to back off to a federated search for default--I am sure our users are thrilled.

Walker, David

Oct 8, 2012, 6:53:28 PM10/8/12
to xerxes...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, we’ve experienced the exact same issue.

The Ebsco API was down for a good five hours today.  I called and complained a couple of times.

It should be back now, though.

--Dave

-------------------------

David Walker

Interim Director, Systemwide Digital Library Services

California State University

562-355-4845

John Wynstra

Oct 8, 2012, 6:57:28 PM10/8/12
to xerxes...@googlegroups.com
We are still experiencing it.  Although when I take the URL directly from the xerxes error message on my test server, I seem to get results.  Any tips as to how to troubleshoot this.  Is my cache interfering somehow?

John Wynstra

Oct 8, 2012, 7:01:23 PM10/8/12
to xerxes...@googlegroups.com
OK.  Now we are getting results.  I guess that means that this is still intermittent.  Are you contacting the standard helpdesk or is there another route to complain about the API?

Walker, David

Oct 8, 2012, 7:05:40 PM10/8/12
to xerxes...@googlegroups.com

Just the main help desk.

I’m hoping this massive failure has caused them to look at this a little more closely, and maybe will lead to a fix for the earlier, intermittent problems.

I’ve got a meeting with some of their tech folks later in the month, too.  I’ll complain then and see what they say. :-)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/xerxes-portal/-/ewjtumtpknQJ.

John Wynstra

Oct 8, 2012, 7:18:50 PM10/8/12
to xerxes...@googlegroups.com
I just got off the phone with EBSCO and they indicated that this is not a closed call on their end even though we seem to be getting results.  Their technical team is working on this with a critical priority in the hopes that it will not happen again.  They also indicated that this did begin last week some time.

For my part, I am going to stick with my federated search default until tomorrow, since I don't want to leave my users high and dry overnight.  They also indicated that this is an across the board problem affecting all customers who use it.

John Wynstra

Oct 9, 2012, 1:19:40 PM10/9/12
to xerxes...@googlegroups.com
FYI - We are having issues with the EBSCO API again today.

Walker, David

Oct 9, 2012, 1:20:46 PM10/9/12
to xerxes...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, Jonathan and I were just chatting about this on the #codelib channel.

Looks like it’s little more intermittent today than yesterday, but still the same problem.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/xerxes-portal/-/aKVE7hodifIJ.