using sqlite native library from OS/environment

Aleksandar Kostadinov

Mar 27, 2013, 10:01:01 AM3/27/13
to xer...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to *not* use the bundled sqlite native library but instead use an external library (i.e. the one coming with the linux distro)?

I have also another question. I will be using the database as a local cache store so schema would be very simplistic. Ease of configuration is a major feature I'm looking at but I'm wondering how does performance of sqlite/xerial jdbc compare with postgresql/jdbc and mysql/jdbc. I know I can test that at some point but I was wondering if anybody has personal experience.

Thanks!

Taro L. Saito

Mar 27, 2013, 10:25:27 AM3/27/13
to xer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aleksandar,

Not using the bundled native library is not possible because
sqlite-jdbc's native library contains some additional code to the
original sqlite.

In terms of performance compared to the other jdbc drivers, it highly
depends on the type of databases, query/transaction workloads and your
system in use.

Here is a little bit old but still useful article comparing the
performance of sqlite with the other DBMS:
http://www.sqlite.org/speed.html

--
Taro L. Saito
<l...@xerial.org>

Suleman

Nov 17, 2022, 12:02:11 PM11/17/22
to Xerial
Nine years later! But is this still the case? I have a scenario where I would like to use the system-wide version of the SQLite library with sqlite-jdbc. Is this possible now?

Taro L. Saito

Nov 17, 2022, 12:29:29 PM11/17/22
to xer...@googlegroups.com
I should have been clearer. The answer is no. Technically it's not possible.

Suleman

Nov 18, 2022, 12:58:28 PM11/18/22
to Xerial
Thanks Taro, out of curiosity, what is the additional code (any code pointers would be appreciated) that is added to the SQLiteJDBC version of the native libraries? Since I'm trying to use a common SQLite library in C++ and Java code running on a server, I want to see if I can use SQLiteJDBC's version of the native library in my C++ code if the inverse isn't possible.