New xdotool release candidate

Jordan Sissel

Mar 12, 2010, 6:19:20 AM3/12/10
to xdotoo...@googlegroups.com
Howdy folks!

This update is mostly to get feedback from packagers to make sure it's a healthy release. The following is a release candidate and your feedback on bugs would be appreciated!

Mainly, I'm looking some quorum of thumbs up from the following distros: debian, freebsd, arch linux, fedora (those are the packages I am aware of). I'm trying to reduce any patches you might need to make to xdotool in packaging.
Don't push a release yet, as that'll come after I get some thumbs my way. ;)

The major packaging change this release is going to be the testing framework. If you don't run the tests, that's ok. If you do run the tests, a simple 'make test' from the xdotool build directory will run them. The tests require at a minimum of Xvfb  and ruby. More tests will run if you have openbox and/or gnome available.

Changes:
1.??????????:
  - Bug fixes only this release
  - Rewrote tests to use ruby and will now test against Xvfb and Xephyr using
    no window manager, openbox, and then gnome.
  - Fix build problems on Arch linux (or gentoo?)
  - Fix searching for only visible windows.
  - Fix xdotool search flags: --title, --name, --class
  - Add include for keysym.h to fix compile errors reported on the mailing list.

-Jordan

Daniel Kahn Gillmor

Mar 12, 2010, 2:45:40 PM3/12/10
to xdotoo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jordan--

On 03/12/2010 06:19 AM, Jordan Sissel wrote:
> http://semicomplete.googlecode.com/files/xdotool-1.20100312.2730.tar.gz

It seems i need to retract my earlier positive report. When i build on
a minimal system, the test suite fails with:

F../xdotool: error while loading shared libraries: libxdo.so.1: cannot

I suspect you need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ensure that the newly-built
libraries are in use during the test suite. It looks like that was
removed during this last iteration (it used to be in t/run.sh)

hth,

--dkg

signature.asc

Daniel Kahn Gillmor

Mar 12, 2010, 1:51:04 PM3/12/10
to xdotoo...@googlegroups.com

seems to build cleanly for debian packaging. i've attached the output
from the build process, in case you're interested.

It looks like you accidentally shipped a bunch of vim .swp files in that
tarball, though, which makes the diff between versions noisier than it
needs to be.

can you interpret what the "assertions" mean in those tests? would you
like me to add any extra build-dependencies to get more tests run on
different architectures?

--dkg

signature.asc
xdotool_1.20100312.2730-1~pre1_i386.build

Jordan Sissel

Mar 12, 2010, 2:58:03 PM3/12/10
to xdotoo...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <d...@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
On 03/12/2010 06:19 AM, Jordan Sissel wrote:
> http://semicomplete.googlecode.com/files/xdotool-1.20100312.2730.tar.gz

seems to build cleanly for debian packaging.  i've attached the output
from the build process, in case you're interested.

It looks like you accidentally shipped a bunch of vim .swp files in that
tarball, though, which makes the diff between versions noisier than it
needs to be.

I'll fix that. Thanks!

can you interpret what the "assertions" mean in those tests?  would you
like me to add any extra build-dependencies to get more tests run on
different architectures?

       --dkg

This looks good! The 'best minimum' tests you can run are exactly what you have below. I see Xvfb and openbox tests run (in addition to Xvfb with no windowmanager). You don't need to add any more dependencies to the build :)

QUIET=1 XSERVER="Xvfb -ac -screen 0 1280x768x24" TEST_DISPLAY=:5 make test
<snip>

This test passed. This test was Xvfb alone with no windowmanager.

WM=openbox-session make test-xvfb
<snip>
QUIET=1 XSERVER="Xvfb -ac -screen 0 1280x768x24" TEST_DISPLAY=:5 make test
 <snip>

This test also passed (no failures). This was openbox on xvfb.

WM=gnome-session make test-xvfb
QUIET=1 XSERVER="Xvfb -ac -screen 0 1280x768x24" TEST_DISPLAY=:5 make test
WM 'gnome-session' not found. Skipping...

This test was skipped, no gnome-session (this is OK).

-Jjordan