window name "-m" instead of "xdot"

Arthur Gleckler

Oct 18, 2021, 4:52:33 PM10/18/21
to xdot.py
I run xdot on Linux (Pop OS) using python3 -m xdot filename.  Whenever I press Alt-TAB to switch between programs, though, the UI shows "-m" as the name of the program instead of "xdot".  I haven't been able to change the implementation to fix this, e.g. by using set_appication_name.  Does someone else know how to do this?  I'm particularly interested in making sure that WM_CLASS is set properly because I have code that searches for the window using the class.

Thanks very much.

Moritz Meier

Oct 21, 2021, 10:33:48 AM10/21/21
to Arthur Gleckler, xdot.py
Hallo Arthur,

I had the same behavior using Manjaro.
Putting window.set_wmclass("xdot", "xdot") in DotWindow.__init__ of ui/window.py solves the issue for me.
Maybe you can open a new issue on github?

best, mome

Am Mo., 18. Okt. 2021 um 22:52 Uhr schrieb Arthur Gleckler <a...@speechcode.com>:
I run xdot on Linux (Pop OS) using python3 -m xdot filename.  Whenever I press Alt-TAB to switch between programs, though, the UI shows "-m" as the name of the program instead of "xdot".  I haven't been able to change the implementation to fix this, e.g. by using set_appication_name.  Does someone else know how to do this?  I'm particularly interested in making sure that WM_CLASS is set properly because I have code that searches for the window using the class.

Thanks very much.

Arthur A. Gleckler

Oct 21, 2021, 1:15:24 PM10/21/21
to Moritz Meier, xdot.py
On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 7:33 AM Moritz Meier <nps...@gmail.com> wrote:

Putting window.set_wmclass("xdot", "xdot") in DotWindow.__init__ of ui/window.py solves the issue for me.
Maybe you can open a new issue on github?

Thank you!

I've filed a pull request, crediting you with the solution.