Location data files

Joop Gooden

Sep 3, 2022, 3:40:59 PM9/3/22
to XCSoar Users
Hi,
I'm running XCsoar on an Android phone for years now. My (Motorola) phone runs Android 11. All of my datafiles are located in the directory called XCSoarData, as required. Nevertheless, all of sudden not only the language of XCsoar changed into Dutch, which I previously had set to English, but worse: the connection to the data files is lost. Inspection of the settings (Config/System/Site files/Site files) showed that no data files can be found. All boxes are blank. On top of the Site Files screen there is a line '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xcsoar/files'. I assume that is the location where the system looks for the files. Apart from the fact that this directory is not existing it also does not correspond to the required directory XCSoarData. I also do not see where I can change the directory path. Tried to reinstall XCsoar but that did not change things, apart from the fact that I lost my user profiles :-(

Any suggestions?

Joop Gooden

Trevor Nash

Dec 17, 2022, 4:22:45 AM12/17/22
to XCSoar Users
I have just changed my phone and have the same issue. I found the /Android/data/org.xcsoar/files directory on the phone and loaded the data files in there and it still doesn't find them. My old phone is on the same revision of XCsoar and looks in the XCsoarData directory. the only difference is that the old phone got to this revision via updates not a new install.

Any ideas, anyone.

Martin Jelínek

Jan 1, 2023, 2:46:24 PM1/1/23
to XCSoar Users
It's very probably bound to the update of Android SDK API due to changes in storage Android's policy forced by Google, see XCSoar Issue #549 download Site Files fails on Android 10, namely this commit.
Possible workarounds might be:
A fresh install of XCSoar 7.28 on Android 11 (Motorola Moto G 5G) can see the files in folder /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xcsoar/files. However, the files have to be uploaded into that folder by connecting the phone to a PC via USB (file managers running in the phone are unable to get write access in there).