Patch: XGet performance enhancements from Abhishek

Hugh Greenberg

Mar 6, 2009, 11:14:20 AM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
Attached is a patch from Abhishek that he sent me a while back, but I
never got a chance to look at. It removes the old checksum algorithm
and uses a rolling adler32 checksum from libz. This greatly improves
XGet's performance.

He also fixed a bug related to the error handling in respondreqs.

-
Hugh Greenberg
Los Alamos National Laboratory, CCS-1
Email: h...@lanl.gov
Phone: (505) 665-6471

xget.patch

ron minnich

Mar 6, 2009, 11:18:48 AM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
I realize we can't do this anymore but

Acked-by: Ronald G. Minnich <rmin...@gmail.com>

Greg Kurtzer

Mar 6, 2009, 11:38:25 AM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys!

Right now Caos and Perceus are at XCPU SVN release 733 and once this
gets commited is it recommended to update to 734?

Is there still a push to get a stable and development release cycle
for XCPU? Having a 1.0 that gets bug fixes only would be very good for
people that are trying to count on this for production systems.

What is the status of development of XCPU? Is there funding or other
sources for development efforts that are being planned?

Also, what versions are other people using as stable (e.g. RR, and/or
other production systems)?

Thanks!

Greg

--
Greg Kurtzer
http://www.infiscale.com/

Hugh Greenberg

Mar 6, 2009, 12:19:00 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
On sourceforge we are now at revision 757.

We would like to have a stable release cycle, but we haven't really had
that much time to work on XCPU recently. I plan to create a tarball and
RPMs out of the current revision and put it on sourceforge today.

We still have funding for it, but we have other projects as well that
are currently taking higher priority.

I don't know what versions people are using.

--
Hugh Greenberg <h...@lanl.gov>

Hugh Greenberg

Mar 6, 2009, 1:22:06 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
We have stable releases already. They are on the xcpu website at
sourceforge: xcpu.sf.net .

Can someone redirect the xcpu.org website to xcpu.sf.net? Thanks.

--

Hugh Greenberg
Los Alamos National Laboratory, CCS-1

h...@lanl.gov

Daniel Gruner

Mar 6, 2009, 1:32:04 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
I am running version 755 of sxcpu.

My system works quite well, except for the bjs batch queuing system,
which is killing jobs, apparently randomly. I have reported a bunch
of bugs for bjs.

Daniel

Greg Kurtzer

Mar 6, 2009, 2:10:03 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Hugh Greenberg <h...@lanl.gov> wrote:

> We have stable releases already.  They are on the xcpu website at
> sourceforge: xcpu.sf.net .
>
> Can someone redirect the xcpu.org website to xcpu.sf.net?  Thanks.

Ahhh, that makes much more sense now!

I will wait for the updated version (I am assuming 1.2.3) and I will
post into Perceus and Caos NSA.

Thanks,
Greg

Uriel

Mar 6, 2009, 2:25:07 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
This is very nice. Just a couple of issues of issues:

The http://xcpu.sourceforge.net/faqs/ and
http://xcpu.sourceforge.net/docs/ pages linked from the front page are
broken.

And it would be nice to get an announcement in the list when new
releases are made, I wasn't even aware that 1.2.2 was released (or
that the new site was up at all).

I have a small collection of shell scripts to help me automate the
tedious tasks of making releases, posting announcements, upload
tarballs, updating freshmeat, and other such annoying stuff. You can
find them at http://repo.cat-v.org/releaser/

It integrates well with the werc web content management system that I
built for Plan 9's GSoC and is now being used by Glendix, pq and a few
other projects: http://werc.cat-v.org

Anyway, great work! I will post an announcement about the 1.2.2
release and the new website to http://NineTimes.cat-v.org

Peace

uriel

Greg Kurtzer

Mar 6, 2009, 3:46:54 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
Do you happen to have the URL to the XCPU subversion repository? I
don't seem to see it on the site (but many of the links are broken).

Thanks!
Greg

Hugh Greenberg

Mar 6, 2009, 3:53:43 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
Its on the Wiki here: http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/xcpu/index.php?title=Xcpu-build
.

I will try to clean up the website a little.

--

Hugh Greenberg
Los Alamos National Laboratory, CCS-1

h...@lanl.gov

Greg Kurtzer

Mar 6, 2009, 3:55:03 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks!

ron minnich

Mar 6, 2009, 3:55:55 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
hi, tell me where you want xcpu.org to point and it's done

ron

Hugh Greenberg

Mar 6, 2009, 3:58:48 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
Ron,

Please point it to http://xcpu.sourceforge.net . Thanks.

Daniel Gruner

Mar 6, 2009, 4:04:26 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
Could we possibly add some of the stuff that is on the old xcpu.org
site to the new one? A FAQ, for example.
I also wrote a description of how to get a cluster going with perceus,
which could be cleaned up a bit and posted (some unsuspecting soul may
decide he is brave enough to try this... :-)

Daniel

Hugh Greenberg

Mar 6, 2009, 5:20:11 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
I think Ron is moving it now and I was not able to download the FAQ.
I got a few of the old pages. Ron, could you send me the
documentation from the old website? Thanks.

Eric Van Hensbergen

Mar 6, 2009, 7:28:58 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 6, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Daniel Gruner wrote:

> Could we possibly add some of the stuff that is on the old xcpu.org
> site to the new one? A FAQ, for example.
> I also wrote a description of how to get a cluster going with perceus,
> which could be cleaned up a bit and posted (some unsuspecting soul may
> decide he is brave enough to try this... :-)

I've got a quickstart for xcpu2 (for those not using Perceus) that I
could contribute and I was thinking of reworking the xcpu2 man pages
to match its current implementation as well.... I'll try to have
patches to send out next week, but could I possibly get write access
to be able to update the wiki?

-eric

Abhishek Kulkarni

Mar 6, 2009, 8:14:20 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com

Thanks -- that would be great! Since I cannot find a way to invite users in the SF-hosted mediawiki app, the fastest way for you would be to register on the wiki at  https://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/xcpu/index.php?title=Main_Page
and I'll promote you to an admin for the wiki.

On a different note,
http://xcpu.org is redirecting to the SF page, but
www.xcpu.org gives a 404.

Abhishek Kulkarni

Mar 6, 2009, 8:19:28 PM3/6/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Hugh Greenberg <h...@lanl.gov> wrote:

I think Ron is moving it now and I was not able to download the FAQ.  I got a few of the old pages.  Ron, could you send me the documentation from the old website?  Thanks.

IIRC, the FAQ section on the old server was empty. There was a nice short tutorial by Ron linked to the Manual Pages/Installation Instructions which can be accessed at:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080111024154/www.xcpu.org/man.html

Eric Van Hensbergen

Mar 7, 2009, 9:37:44 AM3/7/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
Hmm...there doesn't seem to be an option to register. The login uses
the standard sourceforge login, and I don't see any where to sign up
for the project or the wiki.

-eric

Abhishek Kulkarni

Mar 7, 2009, 11:36:52 PM3/7/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen <eri...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm...there doesn't seem to be an option to register.  The login uses
the standard sourceforge login, and I don't see any where to sign up
for the project or the wiki.

      -eric

oh, it seems that you just need to access the wiki with your standard sourceforge login so that you show up on the users list.
I have granted you admin privileges for the wiki.

abhishek

ron minnich

Mar 8, 2009, 1:15:38 PM3/8/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
I can't point xcpu.org to the sourceforge site, but can point
www.xcpu.org. Does anyone care too much? It will cost me money to make
the xcpu.org pointer work.

ron

Abhishek Kulkarni

Mar 8, 2009, 1:24:36 PM3/8/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
xcpu.org already works for me (that is, it forwards properly to the sourceforge page) whereas www.xcpu.org gives some random error.

ron minnich

Mar 8, 2009, 1:25:54 PM3/8/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Abhishek Kulkarni <abby...@gmail.com> wrote:

> xcpu.org already works for me (that is, it forwards properly to the
> sourceforge page) whereas www.xcpu.org gives some random error.

Oh. How did that ever happen? Oh well, won't complain.

ron

Abhishek Kulkarni

Mar 8, 2009, 1:32:15 PM3/8/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com

And what's more interesting: it tries to forward to a random SF page each time when you try to access www.xcpu.org

can you quickly check if the dns records are set the way sourceforge wants them to?
http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/sitedocs/wiki/Custom%20VHOSTs

ron minnich

Mar 8, 2009, 1:34:25 PM3/8/09
to xc...@googlegroups.com