OUTREACH thread

russ

Nov 21, 2010, 3:31:40 PM11/21/10
to XMOS Foundation
The threads on Xcore that invite people over here are a bit buried,
with a lot of context that many people will not have read.

We should get at least another 10 people on board before we set a date
for a vote to elect the first official board.

Does it make sense to create a Group on XMOS? With a nice logo?

A group is a prominent way keep our name in the public eye.

We should be careful not to impinge on XMOS's hospitality, and we
should emphasize the goals, which are all positive from XMOS point of
view. I think we should invite people to sign up in this group, and
keep the main part of the traffic and discussion here.

Any volunteers to do this?

Where else should we promote the Foundation?

Best wishes,

--r.

Al Wood

Nov 21, 2010, 3:41:37 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
We could rename the opensource group?

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 21, 2010, 3:43:08 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
In fact it would be more of a relaunch of the opensource group rather
than just a rename

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 21, 2010, 3:46:39 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Or even a rebirth ;-)

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 21, 2010, 3:49:41 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
I can change the title,logo and description, that way we also get to
keep the members..

--
http://www.folknology.com

russ

Nov 21, 2010, 3:58:47 PM11/21/10
to XMOS Foundation
All of that makes sense to me.

+1

--r.

On Nov 21, 12:49 pm, Al Wood <a...@folknology.com> wrote:
> I can change the title,logo and description, that way we also get to
> keep the members..
>
> On 21 November 2010 20:46, Al Wood <a...@folknology.com> wrote:
>

> > Or even a rebirth ;-)
>
> > On 21 November 2010 20:43, Al Wood <a...@folknology.com> wrote:
> >> In fact it would be more of a relaunch of the opensource group rather
> >> than just a rename

Al Wood

Nov 21, 2010, 3:58:59 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Of course we will need an Icon/logo anyone with artistic abilities
wish to come up with one,any ideas..

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 21, 2010, 4:01:23 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
OK I can get the changes made to the group, Russ can you come up with
an announcement text written sensitively to your points in this thread
as you seem to be good at diplomacy..

--
http://www.folknology.com

Russ Ferriday

Nov 21, 2010, 5:04:10 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Al,

what do you think of this text?

(can you incorporate the link into "click the link below"

A small group of XCore regulars has set up a group that focuses on Open Source development using XMOS technologies. Everyone with an interest in XMOS devices is invited.

Please click the link below
to see the manifesto, of which we include an extract:

Call to Action

So, now, formally, the members of the XMOS community, including all users or potential users of XMOS technologies, the company XMOS Ltd itself, and its employees and business partners, are hereby invited to participate in the institution of an XMOS Foundation.

Membership

All members of the the wider XMOS community, including all users or potential users of XMOS technologies, employees and business partners of XMOS, are invited to participate in the discussion, the empowerment of a pro tem board, the agreement of articles of incorporation, and the holding of an election of officers.

Goals

The XMOS Foundation shall represent the interests of the community of users and producers of XMOS technologies, and promote the development of hardware and software designs that help broaden the scope of the XMOS platform, and grow the market for XMOS related products.

In particular to:

Provide clear, neutral, and sustainable ownership of contributed code.

Provide a decision-making structure for essential community activities.

Interface with XMOS, the company, to represent the needs of the Foundation membership.

Assist XMOS in the transition to greater transparency and openness for the benefit of Foundation members.

Please join this new and dynamic group by adding yourself to the google group, and add your comments on the issue we are discussing, such as repository choice, license, outreach, documentation, and more.

We are working hard to define some basics prior to calling an election for the Board of Directors.  Any contribution you can make, experience you can share, or expertise you can bring, will be deeply appreciated.

We are especially hopeful to receive interest from XMOS employees and board members. The Foundation shares many interests with XMOS Ltd, and its employees, and wishes to work closely with XMOS to represent the needs of the wider XMOS community.

If you appreciate XMOS, we hope you will join the Foundation.

--r

Russ Ferriday -- Systems Architect & Entrepreneur
CEO Topia Systems Ltd.

Kaspar Bumke

Nov 22, 2010, 10:13:35 PM11/22/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me. Are you going to post it soon?

Russ Ferriday

Nov 22, 2010, 11:46:55 PM11/22/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping that Al will find a moment to post this. He may be waiting for a logo.

If so, I think that should be a simple text based thing. We can consider a proper logo once the board is seated.  There are copyright considerations, and it's best to do that in a formal way.

--r.

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 7:56:27 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry catching up, have we decided on the name yet?

Just XCommons rather than XCommons foundation, or something else, what
about the domain etc..

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 7:57:05 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Can this Goog group be renamed?

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 8:21:22 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
I have a temporary logo ready by the way, I'm ready to update the
group, poised on the update button...

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 8:32:12 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
New text:

***Text Begins***

http://groups.google.com/group/xmos-foundation/browse_thread/thread/1c68e741176df117
to see the manifesto, of which we include an extract:
Call to Action

So, now, formally, the members of the XMOS community, including all
users or potential users of XMOS technologies, the company XMOS Ltd
itself, and its employees and business partners, are hereby invited to

participate in the institution of an XCommons Foundation.

Membership

Goals

In particular to:

***Text End***

We might want a para explain why an external group is used without
meaning to detract from Xcore...

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 8:41:05 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Lets try again:

***Text Begins***

[...]

The XCommons Foundation shall represent the interests of the community of

[...]

Hopefully I have now replaced all XMOS Foundation refernces with
XCommons Foundation
--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 8:47:27 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Ok one more go this has less fluffyness ;-)

***Text Begins***

[...]

The XCommons Foundation shall represent the interests of the community of users

and producers of XMOS technologies, and promote its open development.

[...]

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 8:52:24 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
We also need to get an XCommons foundation Github account running (its
free for opensource).
Next wee can create a project on XCore called XCommons that points to
the repository.

--
http://www.folknology.com

Kaspar Bumke

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 9:07:43 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
And again:

***Text Begins***

A small group of XCore regulars has set up a group that focuses on
Open Source development using XMOS technologies. Everyone with an
interest in XMOS devices is invited.

Please click the link below
http://groups.google.com/group/xmos-foundation/browse_thread/thread/1c68e741176df117
to see the manifesto, of which we include an extract:

Membership

All members of the the wider XMOS community, including all users or
potential users of XMOS technologies, employees and business partners
of XMOS, are invited to participate in the discussion, the empowerment
of a pro tem board, the agreement of articles of incorporation, and
the holding of an election of officers.

Goals

The XCommons Foundation shall represent the interests of the community of users

and producers of XMOS technologies, and promote its open development. A primary
goal being to create a commons body of opensource code for Xmos and
its community.

[...]

Removed call to action containing duplicate text,

added 'A primary goal being to create a commons body of opensource
code for Xmos and its community .'
--
http://www.folknology.com

Kaspar Bumke

Nov 23, 2010, 9:12:05 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
ok, looks good now and I learnt what "pro tem" means.

Russ Ferriday

Nov 23, 2010, 9:13:07 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
no.  pro tem -- it's latin for temporary.
Replace with temporary
--r.

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 9:23:04 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
I just nabbed xcommons.org for us

I have updated the opensource group to become XCommons Foundation -
https://www.xcore.com/groups/xcommons-foundation

Russ why don't you publish the txt on the XCommns group and also post
it in a new thread

regards
Al

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 9:23:53 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Can we change the name of this Goog group to XCommons foundation?

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 9:24:37 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
It might be a good idea before posting

--
http://www.folknology.com

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 9:27:46 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Do you want me to setup XCommons on github?

--
http://www.folknology.com

Russ Ferriday

Nov 23, 2010, 9:31:07 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
let's go with XCommons Foundation.

I think the Foundation is important for the full name of the org. We may shorten it to xcommons sometimes (and for the web site)

I just obtained xcommons.org for a year.

--r

Russ Ferriday

Nov 23, 2010, 9:31:58 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
I'll take a look.
--r

Russ Ferriday

Nov 23, 2010, 9:32:50 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
OK. Go for it.

On Nov 23, 2010, at 5:47 AM, Al Wood wrote:

> Ok one more go this has less fluffyness ;-)
>
> ***Text Begins***

Al Wood

Nov 23, 2010, 9:35:36 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
> I just obtained xcommons.org for a year.

Hmm I did that earlier with Godaddy, not sure how you could also..

--
http://www.folknology.com

Russ Ferriday

Nov 23, 2010, 9:37:02 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
That's funny. So did I. And now I have an email saying mine failed. OK. You beat me to it.
--r

Russ Ferriday

Nov 23, 2010, 9:38:21 AM11/23/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com