Naming and trademarks

1 view

folknology

Nov 21, 2010, 4:54:31 PM11/21/10
to XMOS Foundation
One of the issues we have with the current Xmos Foundation naming is
that 'XMOS' is Trademarked. Maybe we should call it something else to
avoid any potential issues or confusion..

Thoughts?

Russ Ferriday

Nov 21, 2010, 5:01:58 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I think we need some advice on this.

It's actually in XMOS's interest to keep the name in there, but we may need a formal agreement which could be hard to organize.

If we became "High Power Processor Foundation" there's less kudos to XMOS, and it would be easy to address other technologies, (pic32 anyone?).

But of course the most important thing is to avoid a law-suit.

Let's see if we can tease out a response from XMOS.

--r.

Russ Ferriday -- Systems Architect & Entrepreneur
CEO Topia Systems Ltd.
ru...@topia.com -- +1 (805) 910 7877 -- www.topia.com

Al Wood

Nov 21, 2010, 5:06:49 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
I would not feel comfortable using a trademarked term

how about The XCommons Foundation

regards
Al

--
http://www.folknology.com

Russ Ferriday

Nov 21, 2010, 5:12:37 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
That's fine by me. It sounds great.

What do other think? Let's brainstorm a bit... spit out your suggestions, and let's see what sticks to the wall.

If we get down to a couple of candidates, we should register the domains immediately, and then do some trademark checking before committing in our formal documents.

--r.

Kaspar Bumke

Nov 21, 2010, 5:49:57 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
fouX

Kaspar Bumke

Nov 21, 2010, 7:16:43 PM11/21/10
to xmos-fo...@googlegroups.com
Although I think I like XCommons better.

whois xcommon.org
NOT FOUND
whois xcommons.org
NOT FOUND