support for php 7?

John Mase

Aug 17, 2015, 10:37:09 PM8/17/15
to XCache
beta 3 do you have any plan for support

Xuefer

Aug 17, 2015, 10:55:10 PM8/17/15
to xca...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure yet. PHP 7 seems a really big change to me. XCache used to have ifdef's to support multiple php version since 4.x to 5.x. It may take XCache to rewrite for PHP 7.

--

---

Vasilis Lourdas

Aug 18, 2015, 3:12:11 AM8/18/15
to XCache
What about Opcache? Since 5.5 which was merged in core, would you consider stop developing xcache and focus only on bug and security fixing or would you say that xcache has more features than Opcache, so you would continue developing it?

Yui Bei Fong

Aug 18, 2015, 6:21:56 AM8/18/15
to XCache

вторник, 18 августа 2015 г., 10:12:11 UTC+3 пользователь Vasilis Lourdas написал:
What about Opcache? Since 5.5 which was merged in core, would you consider stop developing xcache and focus only on bug and security fixing or would you say that xcache has more features than Opcache, so you would continue developing it?

dont say like that, APC people already gave up on opcode cache and ceased development on apcu, varcache only.
Yes, opcache is great competitor and its great, but so far nothing beats Xcache in variable caching, EA dead, APCU almost dead and not so interesting.
Btw, so far nothing can cache vars in PHP7 yet, no APCu, no XCache, no memcached, no redis...

Vasilis Lourdas

Aug 18, 2015, 5:01:45 PM8/18/15
to XCache
I didn't mean that Xcache development should cease. In fact, I've donated in the past for this project. I was just asking for the developer's opinion about whether the merging of Opcache in the core will affect in any way the Xcache development or not. He already left a comment saying that supporting PHP 7 (which is near) would probably require rewriting Xcache, which is not a trivial task and would probably need many man hours.

The fact that development of apc ceased some time ago does not mean that Opcache will face the same fate. In fact, since it is in the PHP core, it will take something very bad and unexpected for this to happen (cease development).
Message has been deleted

Remi

Sep 1, 2015, 3:31:30 AM9/1/15
to XCache
> Yes, opcache is great competitor and its great, but so far nothing beats Xcache in variable caching, EA dead, APCU almost dead and not so interesting.

Not fair answer... :(

APCU is maintained, and should be compatible with PHP 7 soon (work mostly done in the "seven" branch)
And IMHO, it is very interesting, especially for user migrating from APC to opcache + APCu.

Having a APC extension with various role (opcode + user data) was a mistake (and somehow, some can think XCache doest the same error)

John Mase

Nov 4, 2015, 12:48:34 PM11/4/15
to XCache
php 7 stable release will be out on 12th november. Will you have a xcache update during that week?

Xuefer

Nov 4, 2015, 9:25:32 PM11/4/15
to XCache

No. Can't make it due to massive differences

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015, 01:48 John Mase <maid...@gmail.com> wrote:
php 7 stable release will be out on 12th november. Will you have a xcache update during that week?

Csaba Czompo

Nov 17, 2015, 11:06:43 AM11/17/15
to XCache
Where can we donate money to the project to support developing a php 7 compatible xcache version?

Xuefer

Nov 17, 2015, 12:58:54 PM11/17/15
to XCache

I guess i won't setup donation plan for new feature because there never was one for existing features, most people didn't donate to get it

Czompó Csaba

Nov 17, 2015, 3:36:44 PM11/17/15
to xca...@googlegroups.com
I understand. In case you have a Paypal account I would gladly contribute $10 or $20 maybe even more, and probably there would be also a few others who don't expect that every effort of the developers to be completely free. I fully understand that Xcache is a freeware project, but also the jump from php 5.6 to php 7 is a bigger one because of the number of changes and you said it will probably require a full code rewrite.
The standard php 7 opcache is missing an object cache which is a real bonus in Xcache.
Some people expect to have the newest php 7 compatible Xcache ASAP (as seen also in this forum), but for this to materialize in the foreseeable near future we should also give something back. At least this is my opinion.

--

---

Leonardo Castro

Dec 7, 2015, 4:41:18 PM12/7/15
to XCache
I don't see how Xcache is going to get a full rewrite for PHP7 compatibility with just one developer handling it, regardless of how much money gets injected, due to the time required for the rewrite.
I'm just a server admin, so I can copy/paste/modify simple code here and there, but that's about it
I think I'll warn my users now that they should disable Xcache caching in Wordpress/etc so when WHM/cpanel releases PHP7 in EA4, I can migrate to it without sites going down.

Gor Martsen

Mar 10, 2016, 1:27:34 PM3/10/16
to XCache
+1 I already donate few hundreds in past time. Ready to do so to keep moving to php7 as well.
Please update us.

Remi

Jun 28, 2016, 3:05:47 AM6/28/16
to XCache
FYI: because lack of PHP 7 support, XCache have been removed from Fedora repository.

NT Man

Sep 29, 2016, 8:37:44 AM9/29/16
to XCache

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 12:05:47 UTC+5, Remi wrote:
FYI: because lack of PHP 7 support, XCache have been removed from Fedora repository.

XCache RIP :(

Who knows good alternative variable cache for PHP 7?

Czompó Csaba

Sep 29, 2016, 8:43:42 AM9/29/16
to xca...@googlegroups.com
APCu

--

---

Jafo

dapphp

Sep 13, 2017, 12:56:51 PM9/13/17
to XCache
Long time XCache user/fan here, but to deal with lack of PHP7 support we've been using APCu + PHP OpCache together for some time and they work together just fine.  So apcu is a good var/obj cache.  Anything that supported var caching with APC can work just fine with APCu and APCu_bc (PHP 7).