Cache eviction w/ xcache.gc_interval = 0, xcache.ttl = 0

DerekM

Jan 5, 2017, 11:09:05 AM1/5/17
to XCache
Hi,

Trying to understand the behaviour when the cache usage approaches xcache.size, with no expiry of existing items (i.e. xcache.gc_interval = 0, xcache.ttl = 0).

Looking through the source, it appears there is no attempt made to evict files, although if there's an entry for a stale item (i.e. with the same name), it will get replaced.  Am I understanding that correctly?

Put differently, what is the suggested usage of xcache as we deploy newer versions of our software to production?

My assumption is that running periodic GC may not be desirable.  Presumably this locks the cache (i.e. stops the world) as it runs, and causes fragmentation over time?  Should we just flush the cache after deploy (presumably faster op than a GC)?

Thanks!
Derek

Xuefer

Jan 5, 2017, 11:12:57 AM1/5/17
to xca...@googlegroups.com
0 is good. as you said non zero cause issues you already know. use 0
with manual flush unless your *.php update frequently or by vhost
users