XBRL meets Linked Data (a Project Update)

kidehen

Jun 23, 2008, 5:55:14 PM6/23/08
to XBRL Ontology Specification Group
All,

It's been over a year since my initial callout for collaboration re.
meshing XBRL with Financial Reporting Ontology so that the process of
generating Financial Linked Data Space (Financial Entity Graphs
endowed with HTTP based IDs / URIs).

Here's where we are right now. We've started producing Linked Data for
the ontology that we've worked on (with help from Rhizome).

To get a feel for what's been achieved you can do the following:

1. Get our new Linked Data plugin for Firefox
2. Install the plugin (note: download to you local drive and then use
File | Open to load into Firefox 2.x or 3.x)
3. Go to an XBRL instance Doc Page [1]
4. Use the new: View | Linked Data Sources menu option (or "Data
Sources" context menu option via Right+Click or CTRL+Click)
5. You should see the Financial Data in Linked Data form

Note: This is a first cut, there is much more context fidelity that we
will be adding to the current effort.

I still hope that parties interested in this space work with us to
make Financial Linked Data Spaces on the Web a reality.

To understand what Linked Data is about, especially from an enterprise
perspective, I encourage you to digest my recent Linked Data Planet
conference keynote [2]. The key thing we are seeking is the assignment
of dereferencable data source names (HTTP based Entity IDs i.e. URIs)
for the entities in an XBRL report.

To date, we have had to do all the work oursleves, and I am sure you
know, this isn't a simple task.

Links:

1. http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/xbrlrss.xml - the RSS feed I use
to Track XBRL instance data publications
2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/presentations/Creating_Deploying_Exploiting_Linked_Data2/Creating_Deploying_Exploiting_Linked_Data2.html

Regards,

Kingsley

kidehen

Jun 24, 2008, 9:57:57 AM6/24/08
to XBRL Ontology Specification Group
All,

The Linked Data plugin for Firefox is at:

http://myopenlink.net:8890/~kidehen/Public/rdfb.xpi

Download and then follow the instructions in my earlier post.

Kingsley