viXen generation of XBasic

Guy1954

Jul 22, 2014, 9:14:55 AM7/22/14
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I have several viXen projects that I use for XBasic generation validation; for some reasons, viXen was consistently crashing during these XBasic project re-load.

I just made a corrective patch, and I uploaded the corrected version.

But I am curious: did you experience such crashes on your own XBasic projects?
I suspect that it could be an issue related to Windows XP, or to a possible computer's smaller RAM, but I don't know for sure.

Could you give me some high-lights? It would make me more confident of my patch.

Bye! Guy

David Silverwood

Jul 25, 2014, 2:11:25 PM7/25/14
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
HI Guy

Sorry for taking so long to respond.
I have not reallly encountered it much, although I can tell that Vixen is having a hard time coping with Wine. It seems to become resource intensive when used in wine, especially when trying to create a new window and more often than not, Wine crashes or Vixen hangs. But using Windows XP I have not encountered crashes per say and for me its been plain sailing. Course, I seldom go back to Vixen after creating the original window as a lot of the changes can be made in XBasic itself, but I don't recall ever having a problem going back since I save the original file as  a .vxn file.

My XP Desktop is an old P4 3.0gHz Hyperthreader with 2GB DDR400 RAM running XP Pro. (SP3)

My Linux Laptop is a Lenovo G570 1.5Ghz Celeron with 4GB RAM running Mint 17, 32bit (KDE).

Interestingly enough, using Cinnamon and Wine, I get the same response from vixen, but the crashes are less frequent, which may mean that Cinnamon is either more forgiving or way less memory intensive than KDE (Probably).

I'm going to recall a couple of projects and see whether they crash,then will let you know.

Regards

David

David Silverwood

Jul 31, 2014, 2:26:55 PM7/31/14
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guy
I downloaded the latest vixen from sourceforge.(installer with Windows 7 suffixed) While installing, it tried to access a D: drive. Course, with my PC not having a D drive, the installation crashed and I don't seem to be able to fix it. Is the source still available?

Regards

David

Guy Lonne

Jul 31, 2014, 8:33:16 PM7/31/14
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

You are right: my Windows 7 machine is set differently for XBLite.
Windows XP: C:\xblite <> Windows 7: D:\xblite.
I'm going to address this issue.

In the mean time, you can proceed as follows:
In vixen_sources_v1_99u.zip, you can find vixen_setup.iss, which is an
Inno Setup script (free installer for Windows programs).
I suggest that you download Inno Setup at
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isdl.php and re-build viXen's installer yourself.

Bye! Guy

Guy1954

Jul 31, 2014, 8:50:45 PM7/31/14
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I just uploaded a vixen_setup_v1_99u_Windows7.exe that points to C:\xblite and should work for you like a charm!

Bye! Guy

David Silverwood

Aug 1, 2014, 1:07:44 AM8/1/14
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Guy
Worked perfectly.

Bye! Guy

Guy1954

Jul 15, 2015, 8:41:44 PM7/15/15
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David W,

I have made an extensive rewrite of the XBasic Xui generator.
The new and improved version is in Source Forge, ready to be downloaded.

Since you are a long-time Vixener for XBasic,
could you please re-generate some of your projects and make a source comparison with your old generated sources?

I'll appreciate any feedback from you, dear Vexener.

Bye! Guy

David Silverwood

Jul 21, 2015, 4:58:19 AM7/21/15
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guy
Sourceforge site has some kind of problem and am unable to access it. Soon as they are up and running I will be diving into the new improved vixen!
Thx
David

David Silverwood

Aug 6, 2015, 9:48:31 AM8/6/15
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
Wow. Guy, you outdid yourself this time. Its running perfectly in Wine. Better than ever before! I've started using it for a new project as I'm writing this. Will let you know. So far so good and I am impressed!
Thanks Guy, Thanks a lot!

Guy Lonne

Aug 7, 2015, 4:36:12 AM8/7/15
to xbl...@googlegroups.com
Hi, David "the Watchman"!

Thank you for your good word.

I always value any of my preferred XBasic Vixener's feedback, but
appreciate nice ones :-) .
Keep up on pushing viXen to its limit, since its XBasic's generator is
your initiative 8-) .

Bye! Guy