How to upload large image over XIG ? Can i post big files ?

Bruno D

Jan 16, 2017, 8:47:14 AM1/16/17
to xbee-internet-gateway
Hi,

I need to upload images captured by a Raspberry Pi camera to the Internet over an XBee (Digi 900HP S3B) network.

(1) RaspberryPi + Cam <-> (2) XBee 900HP (Sender) <    //    > (3) XBee 900HP (Receiver) <-> (4) Another RaspberryPi to act as gateway      < // > INTERNET

The first Raspberry (1) will capture images every 1 hour and upload them to my web server.
The gateway device (4) could be a second raspberry or a Digi ConnectPortX2 device.

Is it possible with XIG ? Are there any manuals explaining the best way to do it ?

Thanks !

Bruno D

Jan 16, 2017, 9:25:36 AM1/16/17
to xbee-internet-gateway
I thought of using UDP for it, but UDP doesn't have packet confirmation, so it's no good

B. UDP

If you wish to stream data to a remote UDP server, you may use the UDP command to do so. Commands are of the form:

udp://servername:port

After XIG receives the command the session begins immediately. Data is sent directly to the specified server.

Use the xig://abort command to end the session.

Rob Faludi

Jan 16, 2017, 10:10:27 AM1/16/17
to xbee-inter...@googlegroups.com
UDP would be your only choice outside of you adding new functionality to XIG. But for photo files, if you’re going to a Raspi as a gateway why not just take advantage of something like FTP to upload your files?

XIG user manual and tech notes are all here by the way: https://github.com/XBeeInternetGateway/XIG/wiki

Bruno D

Jan 16, 2017, 11:58:47 AM1/16/17
to xbee-internet-gateway
Hi Rob, i don't think there are any existing FTP functionality that i could take advantage of. Am i wrong ?

I thought of using API frame mode to control the file transfer between the devices.

Rob Faludi

Jan 16, 2017, 1:12:40 PM1/16/17
to xbee-inter...@googlegroups.com
I was referring to the Raspi's FTP functionality by the way, not XIG’s.

Also keep in mind that you should consider using the official XBee Java library (https://github.com/digidotcom/XBeeJavaLibrary) or ANSI C library (https://github.com/digidotcom/xbee_ansic_library) to write applications on the Raspberry Pi that interact with XBees.