Wildcard Searches

Alan Dobkin

Apr 29, 2015, 6:42:01 PM4/29/15
to xata...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to do a wildcard or partial-word search using the built-in search action? Partial words are currently not found using the default search box. I also tried the URL conventions syntax, as well as *, %, and ?, but none of those seem to work.

Thanks,
Alan

Steve Hannah

Apr 30, 2015, 1:16:19 AM4/30/15
to xata...@googlegroups.com
Not with the "-search" parameter.  However you can perform partial searches on field searches.

From the search instructions in the old advanced find form (I need to add these to the new one... and I need to add this to the URL conventions page on the wiki.

To perform wildcard searches, prefix your query with a tilde ("~"), then include one of the supported wildcard characters in your query.

Supported Wildcards:

  • % : Matches any string of length 0 or more characters.
  • _ : Matches a single character.

Examples:

  • "~J%y" will match only if the field value begins with "J" and ends with "y". E.g. It will match both "January" and "Joy", but not "Joyous" or "AJoy"
  • "~B%" will match any rows where the field value begins with "B"
  • "~B_b" will match any rows beginning and ending with "b" and is 3 characters long. This would match "bib" and "bob" but not "boob"

Steve Hannah
Web Lite Solutions Corp.

Halsted Bernard

Jul 24, 2015, 6:07:19 PM7/24/15
to Xataface, st...@weblite.ca
Hi, Steve:

Is it possible to use a wildcard search to return all records that have no value in a field?

Kind regards,
Halsted

Steve Hannah

Jul 24, 2015, 6:11:51 PM7/24/15
to xata...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  Just search for "=".  This translates to an exact match for nothing.  The opposite search would be for "<", i.e. finds everything greater than nothing.

Steve

Halsted Bernard

Jul 24, 2015, 6:19:11 PM7/24/15
to Xataface, st...@weblite.ca
That worked. Thanks, Steve.

Steve Hannah

Jul 24, 2015, 6:20:53 PM7/24/15
to Halsted Bernard, Xataface
Sorry... second example should have been ">"  (not "<", because ">" is greater than and "<" is less than)

Steve

Halsted Bernard

Jul 24, 2015, 6:25:02 PM7/24/15
to Xataface, st...@weblite.ca