xarray-video

David Johnson

Dec 13, 2022, 2:02:02 PM12/13/22
to xarray
Hi All,

We have created an xarray extension for video data which facilitates loading, accessing and storing video data in xarray DataArray/Dataset.

Main advantage is that it implements a video codec for zarrr storage which gives 100x compression advantage for video data. Also it implements a basic lazy access backend for video files.

The main use case we have is the ability to store video with time and space coordinates for the case of a moving camera. Then we can utilise xarray's selection and subsetting capabilities. Also, zarr turns out to be a nice way to store large amounts of video that we want to subset from and/or perform further frame analysis routines.

This library is at early stage of development, but would benefit from further use case tests and contributions from the wider xarray community.

Hope this is useful for some of you.

Dave