support for remote connections?

Kapil Thangavelu

Dec 20, 2007, 9:10:39 AM12/20/07
to xappy-...@googlegroups.com
is there any planned or intended support for remote searchers?

whats needed to implement this? are there any particular features implemented in the xappy python layers that depend on the local connection?

thanks,

kapil

Richard Boulton

Dec 20, 2007, 9:20:28 AM12/20/07
to xappy-...@googlegroups.com
Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
> is there any planned or intended support for remote searchers?

I vaguely plan to implement it at some point, but haven't needed it yet,
so haven't got around to it.

> whats needed to implement this? are there any particular features
implemented in the xappy python layers that depend on the local connection?

xappy currently stores the field configuration in a file in the database
directory. Obviously, to work with a remote database, this
configuration would need to be accessible remotely. The obvious thing
to do is change from storing the configuration in a file, and store it
in database metadata (which is a feature added in a recent release of
xapian), which should, theoretically, be accessible from anywhere that
the database is accessible. However, I'm not certain that that is
implemented yet for remote databases.

So, the steps required are:

1. Ensure that database metadata is implemented in xapian for remote
databases.

2. Change xappy to store its field configuration in database metadata
instead of in a file in the database directory.

3. Implement support for specifying a remote database when opening a
SearchConnection (or, indeed, an IndexConnection).

--
Richard

Kapil Thangavelu

Jan 10, 2008, 11:05:17 AM1/10/08
to xappy-...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 20, 2007 9:20 AM, Richard Boulton <ric...@lemurconsulting.com> wrote:

Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
 > is there any planned or intended support for remote searchers?

I vaguely plan to implement it at some point, but haven't needed it yet,
so haven't got around to it.

thanks, i don't need it yet myself, but its something i wanted to make sure was possible for the future.

Miki Tebeka

Apr 30, 2009, 9:02:54 PM4/30/09
to Richard Boulton, xappy-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Richard,

> means, within the next several months.  If you need it sooner, feel free to
> submit a patch (or sponsor someone to develop one)!
See http://code.google.com/p/xappy/issues/detail?id=29

I have something in these lines in my code currently.
I just got the configuration string from the database and stored it locally.

Thanks for a great product.

All the best,
--
Miki Tebeka <miki....@gmail.com>