thinking of trying xapian_db

thoughtafter

Aug 5, 2011, 1:28:51 AM8/5/11
to xapian_db
I have a number of rails projects using xapian. They are all using
acts_as_xapian with a fair amount of customization at this point. I
wanted to find a more active project. This seems to be the only one.
I like the blueprint concept. I had liked the xapian bindings being
included but I see that's been pushed to xapian-ruby.

One feature I would like to see is "find similar" functionality. Acts
As Xapian has that here:
https://github.com/mnelson/acts_as_xapian_gem/blob/master/lib/acts_as_xapian/similar.rb

One nice feature is that the ActsAsXapian::Similar similar class has
an accessor for import terms which I find very useful in at least one
of my projects. I've also hacked ActsAsXapian to allow for similar
searches to be chained with faceted searches such as "find similar in
this date range" or "find similar in this location".

The only other thing I would change, and I might be willing to code
this myself, is to use delayed_job instead of beanstalk for updating
the db. Looking through the xapian_db code I think that would
probably be easy to implement

Anyway just wanted to throw some ideas out there and see what the
response would be. This project is active but it doesn't seem like a
large community.

Gernot

Aug 5, 2011, 2:01:10 AM8/5/11
to xapian_db
Hi

Thanks for your feedback. The "find similar" feature sounds cool, I
will implement it for 0.6

Support for delayed job instead of beanstalk would really be easy. If
you want to code it yourself, I will happily accept a pull request.
All it needs is a delayed_job_writer, a delayed_job_worker and a
daemon script template.

The community seems rather small, but the project is active; after
all, xapian_db is a core component for all of our own projects. And
some of them are quite late ones.

Best regards
Gernot

On Aug 5, 7:28 am, thoughtafter <thoughtaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a number of rails projects using xapian.  They are all using
> acts_as_xapian with a fair amount of customization at this point.  I
> wanted to find a more active project.  This seems to be the only one.
> I like the blueprint concept.  I had liked the xapian bindings being
> included but I see that's been pushed to xapian-ruby.
>
> One feature I would like to see is "find similar" functionality.  Acts
> As Xapian has that here:https://github.com/mnelson/acts_as_xapian_gem/blob/master/lib/acts_as...

thoughtafter

Aug 17, 2011, 7:31:33 PM8/17/11
to xapian_db
I see you've pushed this. I'm going to try and write some tests for
one of my projects using acts_as_xapian and then do an xapian_db
branch and see how it compares with finding similar. Thanks for
putting in the time and work.

Gernot

Aug 18, 2011, 12:30:33 AM8/18/11
to xapian_db
Cool. I'm looking forward to your results.