xaos segfaults

Army

Oct 19, 2010, 4:18:08 AM10/19/10
to xaos-users
Hi there

I use Archlinux and tried xaos from the repos, but it crashes with the
following line in my terminal (urxvt, in case that's relevant)

% xaos
Warning - too long text at line 484
Warning - too long text at line 490
Warning - too long text at line 724
Warning - too long text at line 1026
Warning - too long text at line 1036
Warning - too long text at line 1037
Warning - too long text at line 1040
Warning - too long text at line 1041
Warning - too long text at line 1044
Warning - too long text at line 1047
Warning - too long text at line 1053
Warning - too long text at line 1054
Warning - too long text at line 1058
Warning - too long text at line 1061
[1] 11104 segmentation fault (core dumped) xaos

For a VERY short moment the xaos window seems to open, but it crashes
instantly.

The config options in the package are --prefix=/usr --with-gsl --with-
aa-driver I tried to compile it on my machine in case that helps, but
it doesn't.

Now, the strange thing is, the maintainer of the package doesn't have
this problem, so searching for the culprit is really difficult. So I'm
asking for your help here. Does anybody else have this problem? If
not, do you know what might cause this? What further information
should I give (about my system etc.)

Thanks for your help guys! :)

David Messersmith

Oct 19, 2010, 5:08:20 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
I don't, but but I have a problem where if I stop using the (Opened) program and then go to use it again it freezes up...

Have you tried reinstalling your software?

David

Uli Armbruster

Oct 19, 2010, 6:14:57 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Yes I recompiled xaos on my laptop, changed the config options to a simple --prefix=/usr (the only option which is really necessary), cleaned my CFLAGS, but the result remains the same using this self compiled package. Any idea what else I could try?

* David Messersmith <dsmo...@gmail.com> [19.10.2010 11:08]:

David Messersmith

Oct 19, 2010, 6:18:36 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
What operating system are you using???  Windows (What version) or Mac?  Just curious...

-David

David

Uli Armbruster

Oct 19, 2010, 6:52:04 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough. I use Linux, 32bit and Archlinux is my distribution. Xaos is version 3.5. Its dependencies are gsl (version 1.14), libpng (version 1.4.4) and aalib (version 1.4rc5) in case there's a problem with a specific version of these dependencies.

* David Messersmith <dsmo...@gmail.com> [19.10.2010 12:18]:

> What operating system are you using??? Windows (What version) or Mac? Just
> curious...
>
> -David
>

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:14 AM, Uli Armbruster <
> uli.arm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes I recompiled xaos on my laptop, changed the config options to a simple
> > --prefix=/usr (the only option which is really necessary), cleaned my
> > CFLAGS, but the result remains the same using this self compiled package.
> > Any idea what else I could try?
> >
> > * David Messersmith <dsmo...@gmail.com> [19.10.2010 11:08]:
> > > I don't, but but I have a problem where if I stop using the (Opened)
> > program
> > > and then go to use it again it freezes up...
> > >
> > > Have you tried reinstalling your software?
> >
> > --

> > xaos-users+...@googlegroups.com<xaos-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Kovács Zoltán

Oct 19, 2010, 6:54:54 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Uli,

Could you please attach the output of the following:

strace -f -o xaos-strace.out xaos

You may need to install strace first.

Thanks, Zoltan

Uli Armbruster

Oct 19, 2010, 7:05:12 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thanks, of course, why didn't I think of strace...

Here's the output: http://codepad.org/4QElrVyP

What's quite interesting, in order to have a completely english output (my system is german), I did an export LANG="C" first. Starting xaos then doesn't produce all those Warning - too long text at line $NUMBER lines, now it's just

% xaos
[1] 18130 segmentation fault (core dumped) xaos

Hope the strace log helps!

* Kov�cs Zolt�n <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 12:54]:

> > <xaos-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<xaos-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Kovács Zoltán

Oct 19, 2010, 7:39:38 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
What I can see there seems to be missing files from /usr/share/. I am not sure if --prefix=/usr works properly. Could you please try what happens if you enter "make DESTDIR=/tmp/xaos install" in the source directory? Please send me the output of "find /tmp/xaos > filelist.txt" then.

Zoltan

2010/10/19 Uli Armbruster <uli.arm...@googlemail.com>
Hi, thanks, of course, why didn't I think of strace...

Here's the output: http://codepad.org/4QElrVyP

What's quite interesting, in order to have a completely english output (my system is german), I did an export LANG="C" first. Starting xaos then doesn't produce all those Warning - too long text at line $NUMBER lines, now it's just

% xaos
[1]    18130 segmentation fault (core dumped)  xaos

Hope the strace log helps!

* Kovács Zoltán <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 12:54]:

Uli Armbruster

Oct 19, 2010, 8:04:34 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I ran

./configure --prefix=/usr
make DESTDIR=/tmp/xaos install

% make DESTDIR=/tmp/xaos install
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/tutorial
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/examples
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/catalogs
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/doc
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/help
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/bin
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/man/man6
/bin/install -c -s bin/xaos /tmp/xaos/usr/bin
/bin/install: cannot stat `bin/xaos': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1

I'm a little confused why this doesn't work.

But I can show you the files which are in the package I installed from the Archlinux repos http://codepad.org/247XgPM4 I guess that's what you wanted, right?

*

> What I can see there seems to be missing files from /usr/share/. I am not
> sure if --prefix=/usr works properly. Could you please try what happens if
> you enter "make DESTDIR=/tmp/xaos install" in the source directory? Please
> send me the output of "find /tmp/xaos > filelist.txt" then.
>
> Zoltan
>
> 2010/10/19 Uli Armbruster <uli.arm...@googlemail.com>
>
> > Hi, thanks, of course, why didn't I think of strace...
> >
> > Here's the output: http://codepad.org/4QElrVyP
> >
> > What's quite interesting, in order to have a completely english output (my
> > system is german), I did an export LANG="C" first. Starting xaos then
> > doesn't produce all those Warning - too long text at line $NUMBER lines, now
> > it's just
> >
> > % xaos
> > [1] 18130 segmentation fault (core dumped) xaos
> >
> > Hope the strace log helps!
> >

> > * Kov�cs Zolt�n <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 12:54]:

> > <xaos-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<xaos-users%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

Kovács Zoltán

Oct 19, 2010, 10:16:06 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com

2010/10/19 Uli Armbruster <uli.arm...@googlemail.com>

Ok, I ran

./configure --prefix=/usr

Here you need a simple "make" as well.

make DESTDIR=/tmp/xaos install

Unfortunately the configure.in file is not properly written to find out to run "make" before "make install".

% make DESTDIR=/tmp/xaos install
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/tutorial
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/examples
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/catalogs
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/doc
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/XaoS/help
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/bin
/bin/install -c -d /tmp/xaos/usr/share/man/man6
/bin/install -c -s bin/xaos /tmp/xaos/usr/bin
/bin/install: cannot stat `bin/xaos': No such file or directory

That's why bin/xaos is missing. Compilation was not done.

make: *** [install] Error 1

I'm a little confused why this doesn't work.

But I can show you the files which are in the package I installed from the Archlinux repos http://codepad.org/247XgPM4 I guess that's what you wanted, right?

No, I thought these files are OK.

Please try the above command lines again using "make" and provide the output of "find...".

Thanks, Zoltan

*
> What I can see there seems to be missing files from /usr/share/. I am not
> sure if --prefix=/usr works properly. Could you please try what happens if
> you enter "make DESTDIR=/tmp/xaos install" in the source directory? Please
> send me the output of "find /tmp/xaos > filelist.txt" then.
>
> Zoltan
>
> 2010/10/19 Uli Armbruster <uli.arm...@googlemail.com>
>
> > Hi, thanks, of course, why didn't I think of strace...
> >
> > Here's the output: http://codepad.org/4QElrVyP
> >
> > What's quite interesting, in order to have a completely english output (my
> > system is german), I did an export LANG="C" first. Starting xaos then
> > doesn't produce all those Warning - too long text at line $NUMBER lines, now
> > it's just
> >
> > % xaos
> > [1]    18130 segmentation fault (core dumped)  xaos
> >
> > Hope the strace log helps!
> >
> > * Kovács Zoltán <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 12:54]:

Uli Armbruster

Oct 19, 2010, 10:28:35 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, of course make was missing ... not my freshest day ;)

Now I did
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make DESTDIR=/tmp/xaos install
find /tmp/xaos > filelist.txt
curlpaste filelist.txt
and here it is http://codepad.org/zLaVf4gF

Kovács Zoltán

Uli Armbruster

Oct 19, 2010, 11:20:05 AM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
No prob! I don't know what options are nice, so I used

ltrace -o xaos-ltrace.out xaos

Here's the xaos-ltrace.out http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/xaos-ltrace.out (the file was too big for a paste service, so I uploaded it to the server of my band)

Because running xaos through ltrace takes a while, the xaos window, which normally only pops up for as long as the blink of an eye, stays open a bit longer. I took a screenie, which you find here http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/2010-10-19-171442_1280x800_scrot.png

* Kov�cs Zolt�n <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 17:00]:

> Hi, this seems to be OK. The file layout is correct. Could you please
> provide an ltrace output as well?
>
> Zoltan
>
> 2010/10/19 Uli Armbruster <uli.arm...@googlemail.com>
>
> > Ok, of course make was missing ... not my freshest day ;)
> >
> > Now I did
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr
> > make
> > make DESTDIR=/tmp/xaos install
> > find /tmp/xaos > filelist.txt
> > curlpaste filelist.txt
> > and here it is http://codepad.org/zLaVf4gF
> >
> > --

> > xaos-users+...@googlegroups.com<xaos-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Kovács Zoltán

Oct 19, 2010, 12:14:49 PM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Huh. Strange! The last two lines are sincos syscalls. What kind of architecture do you have? Could you please provide the output of the configure script and the config.log file? (There may be some kind of bug in third party libraries, probably libpng or aalib. You may try to compile the code without them as well.)

Zoltan

2010/10/19 Uli Armbruster <uli.arm...@googlemail.com>
No prob! I don't know what options are nice, so I used

ltrace -o xaos-ltrace.out xaos

Here's the xaos-ltrace.out http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/xaos-ltrace.out (the file was too big for a paste service, so I uploaded it to the server of my band)

Because running xaos through ltrace takes a while, the xaos window, which normally only pops up for as long as the blink of an eye, stays open a bit longer. I took a screenie, which you find here http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/2010-10-19-171442_1280x800_scrot.png

* Kovács Zoltán <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 17:00]:

Uli Armbruster

Oct 19, 2010, 12:35:51 PM10/19/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
My architecture is i686, I have a Pentium-M processor.

% cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 600.000
cache size : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe up bts est tm2
bogomips : 1196.05
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

Here's the output of ./configure --prefix=/usr http://codepad.org/p0BBlll0 and here's the config.log http://codepad.org/K7MFjD87

I'll try to compile without libpng and aalib later, I don't have that much time now anymore, maybe tomorrow.

Greetings
Uli

* Kov�cs Zolt�n <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 18:15]:

> Huh. Strange! The last two lines are sincos syscalls. What kind of
> architecture do you have? Could you please provide the output of the
> configure script and the config.log file? (There may be some kind of bug in
> third party libraries, probably libpng or aalib. You may try to compile the
> code without them as well.)
>
> Zoltan
>
> 2010/10/19 Uli Armbruster <uli.arm...@googlemail.com>
>
> > No prob! I don't know what options are nice, so I used
> >
> > ltrace -o xaos-ltrace.out xaos
> >

> > Here's the xaos-ltrace.out http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/xaos-ltrace.out(the file was too big for a paste service, so I uploaded it to the server of

> > my band)
> >
> > Because running xaos through ltrace takes a while, the xaos window, which
> > normally only pops up for as long as the blink of an eye, stays open a bit
> > longer. I took a screenie, which you find here
> > http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/2010-10-19-171442_1280x800_scrot.png
> >

> > * Kov�cs Zolt�n <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 17:00]:

> > > Hi, this seems to be OK. The file layout is correct. Could you please
> > > provide an ltrace output as well?
> > >
> > > Zoltan

> > <xaos-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<xaos-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Kovács Zoltán

Oct 21, 2010, 12:45:35 AM10/21/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
I found the config.log and the output being correct. So I guess the problem is in libpng or aalib.

* Kovács Zoltán <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 18:15]:
> Huh. Strange! The last two lines are sincos syscalls. What kind of
> architecture do you have? Could you please provide the output of the
> configure script and the config.log file? (There may be some kind of bug in
> third party libraries, probably libpng or aalib. You may try to compile the
> code without them as well.)
>
> Zoltan
>
> 2010/10/19 Uli Armbruster <uli.arm...@googlemail.com>
>
> > No prob! I don't know what options are nice, so I used
> >
> > ltrace -o xaos-ltrace.out xaos
> >
> > Here's the xaos-ltrace.out http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/xaos-ltrace.out(the file was too big for a paste service, so I uploaded it to the server of
> > my band)
> >
> > Because running xaos through ltrace takes a while, the xaos window, which
> > normally only pops up for as long as the blink of an eye, stays open a bit
> > longer. I took a screenie, which you find here
> > http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/2010-10-19-171442_1280x800_scrot.png
> >
> > * Kovács Zoltán <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 17:00]:

Uli Armbruster

Oct 21, 2010, 9:27:59 AM10/21/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Alright, now I compiled xaos with

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-aa-driver=no --with-png=no
make
make DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install (this pkgdir is an Archlinux thing, basically it's just / )

The error is the same as before. Here's the strace output http://codepad.org/iFu7Vjsl and here's the ltrace output http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/xaos-ltrace.out

And to make it complete, here are the logs: output of config http://codepad.org/Qpeyb0Jw and the config.log http://codepad.org/0YnbYFCB

Greetings

* Kov�cs Zolt�n <kov...@matek.hu> [21.10.2010 06:45]:

> > Here's the output of ./configure --prefix=/usr http://codepad.org/p0BBlll0and here's the config.log

> > http://codepad.org/K7MFjD87
> >
> > I'll try to compile without libpng and aalib later, I don't have that much
> > time now anymore, maybe tomorrow.
> >
> > Greetings
> > Uli
> >

> > * Kov�cs Zolt�n <kov...@matek.hu> [19.10.2010 18:15]:

> > > Huh. Strange! The last two lines are sincos syscalls. What kind of
> > > architecture do you have? Could you please provide the output of the
> > > configure script and the config.log file? (There may be some kind of bug
> > in
> > > third party libraries, probably libpng or aalib. You may try to compile
> > the
> > > code without them as well.)
> > >
> > > Zoltan

> > http://www.unstucc.de/myspace/xaos-ltrace.out(the file was too big for a
> > paste service, so I uploaded it to the server of

> > which
> > bit

> > <xaos-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<xaos-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > <xaos-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<xaos-users%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

Uli Armbruster

Oct 21, 2010, 9:45:57 AM10/21/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
One thing I wanted to add, I also tried running xaos as a completely new user. There's no difference, so it's not caused by any kind of crappy config in my home directory.

Uli Armbruster

Oct 25, 2010, 6:21:27 AM10/25/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Is there anything else I can do? I would really like to help fixing this.

Kovács Zoltán

Oct 25, 2010, 7:09:54 AM10/25/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Uli,

Thanks for all your efforts until now. Unfortunately I don't have much time today and tomorrow on working on this, however I would search for the appropriate line in XaoS code which causes a segfault. As far as I can see, the segfault is basically at startup. You may try to add debug statements (like 'printf("debug 1");') into the source code to various places near the initialization. Then you are going to see exactly which statement still works and which ones causes your OS to raise the segfault.

HTH, Zoltan

2010/10/25 Uli Armbruster <uli.arm...@googlemail.com>
Is there anything else I can do? I would really like to help fixing this.

Uli Armbruster

Oct 25, 2010, 10:41:13 AM10/25/10
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
I'll see what I can do :)

* Kov�cs Zolt�n <kov...@matek.hu> [25.10.2010 13:09]:

> > xaos-users+...@googlegroups.com<xaos-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Florian Stecker

Jan 30, 2015, 9:03:35 AM1/30/15
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com, uli.arm...@googlemail.com
Hi,

sorry for reviving this old thread, but I have a problem which looks very similar. The "window" opens for a very short time and then xaos segfaults.

I am using archlinux and the i3 window manager in tabbed mode. This seems to be related to the problem, as xaos perfectly works in fullscreen mode.

Here is an excerpt of my gdb session, which hints in the same direction:

0x00007ffff69bc54d in __memset_sse2 () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff69bc54d in __memset_sse2 () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x0000000000467ea3 in memset (__len=5448, __ch=0, __dest=<optimized out>) at /usr/include/bits/string3.h:84
#2  clear_image (img=0x716140) at image.c:269
#3  0x000000000045943d in do_fractal (f=0x717a30, flags=0, time=<optimized out>) at zoom.c:1552
#4  0x0000000000415d69 in uih_do_fractal (c=0x71bbe0) at ui_helper.c:983
#5  0x000000000041608f in uih_prepare_image (c=<optimized out>) at ui_helper.c:1037
#6  0x0000000000404a5d in ui_mainloop (loop=1) at ui.c:1728
#7  main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=<optimized out>) at ui.c:1555
(gdb) up
#1  0x0000000000467ea3 in memset (__len=5448, __ch=0, __dest=<optimized out>) at /usr/include/bits/string3.h:84
84        return __builtin___memset_chk (__dest, __ch, __len, __bos0 (__dest));
(gdb) up
#2  clear_image (img=0x716140) at image.c:269
269             memset(img->currlines[i], color, width);
(gdb) print width
$1 = 5448
(gdb) print i
$2 = 493
(gdb) print *(img->currlines[i] + 2000)
$3 = 0 '\000'
(gdb) print *(img->currlines[i] + 5000)
Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffff7fcc598

So maybe xaos gets somehow confused because the window manager doesn't let it decide its window size? Unfortunately I don't know the source code, so I'm a bit stuck now. Can anyone help me?

Thank you very much!

5paceManSpiff

Mar 14, 2016, 2:53:58 PM3/14/16
to xaos-users, uli.arm...@googlemail.com
Sorry for re-reviving this old thread :P.  I too run the i3 window manager on arch linux and have been experiencing the same segfault issue posted above.  I can corroborate that this crash has to do with the way i3 decides its window size.  After much trial and error, I have found that xaos doesn't crash in i3 if it is launched while another window is displayed full screen.  Try launching xaos from a fullscreen terminal window, and see if it crashes.

Paul Becker

May 7, 2016, 3:14:59 AM5/7/16
to xaos-users, uli.arm...@googlemail.com
I'm also on i3 and had noticed this a while back.

As Florian's trace indicates, the crash is in clear_image() overwriting the bounds of the image buffers. I tracked the bug down to x11_getsize() calling XSync() and xupdate_size(), which changes the xdisplay.width without reallocating the image buffers (x11_alloc_buffers()). Removing these calls from x11_getsize() and letting the ConfigureNotify case in x11_processevents() handle the actual resize seems to fix it. Patch below. I think the only thing to check is that it doesn't have any adverse effects on window managers that aren't i3.

--- clean-xaos-3.6/src/ui/ui-drv/x11/ui_x11.c    2013-11-01 03:54:22.000000000 -0400
+++ patch-xaos-3.6/src/ui/ui-drv/x11/ui_x11.c    2016-05-06 17:41:43.306938440 -0400
@@ -145,8 +145,6 @@

 static void x11_getsize(int *w, int *h)
 {
-    XSync(d->display, 0);
-    xupdate_size(d);
     *w = d->width;
     *h = d->height;

Marcin Zawada

May 23, 2016, 10:54:45 AM5/23/16
to xaos-users, uli.arm...@googlemail.com
The quick fix for i3 window manager is starting the XaoS as floating window  i.e. in .i3/config you can insert the line below

for_window [class="XaoS"] floating enable

Then we can disable floating...