Using Remote HTTP VIM

7 views
Skip to first unread message

ldeveaux

unread,
Jun 1, 2010, 4:25:34 AM6/1/10
to XAM Developers Group
Hi,

If I use the HTTP VIM with localhost, my application works.
xri = snia-xam://httpvim!localhost?
targetServer.ipAddress=127.0.0.1&targetServer.port=9923&targetServer.vimname=Remote

startup.properties
**********
.org.snia.xam.http.server.host=127.0.0.1
xam_int..org.snia.xam.http.server.port=9923
**********

However, if I want to use the HTTP with my IP address but not the
loopback address, the application doesn't work.

In the following 0.0.0.0 represents my own IP address but it is not
the real.

xri = snia-xam://httpvim!localhost?
targetServer.ipAddress=0.0.0.0&targetServer.port=9923&targetServer.vimname=Remote

startup.properties
**********
.org.snia.xam.http.server.host=0.0.0.0
xam_int..org.snia.xam.http.server.port=9923
**********

Note that 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 are the same machines.

Do I make an error in my code ? Is the HTTP VIM bugged for remote
connections ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ludovic Deveaux

Mike A

unread,
Jun 1, 2010, 3:15:32 PM6/1/10
to XAM Developers Group
Change the server's "startup.properties" to contain the line to:
".org.snia.xam.http.server.host=0.0.0.0"

Or whatever the real address is. When I test at home, 127.0.0.1 works
as long as that's what the client uses.
When I want to switch to an external address so I put the server on a
different machine, say 192.168.1.105
I must change the XRI and the server.host line together.

Mike A

ldeveaux

unread,
Jun 2, 2010, 9:01:37 AM6/2/10
to XAM Developers Group
This is what I have done (see my previous message).
In the XRI, I have the same behavior with
xri = snia-xam://httpvim!localhost?
targetServer.ipAddress=0.0.0.0&targetServer.port=9923&targetServer.vimname=Remote

and
xri = snia-xam://httpvim!0.0.0.0?
targetServer.ipAddress=127.0.0.1&targetServer.port=9923&targetServer.vimname=Remote

and
xri = snia-xam://httpvim!0.0.0.0?
targetServer.ipAddress=0.0.0.0&targetServer.port=9923&targetServer.vimname=Remote

The startup.properties file has been modified as follow :
".org.snia.xam.http.server.host=0.0.0.0"

When storing, the program seems to do an infinite loop. I will
investigate more waiting for your ideas.

Best regards,

Ludovic Deveaux

Mike A

unread,
Jun 2, 2010, 10:14:52 AM6/2/10
to XAM Developers Group
I am at a loss to explain it. It could be another case where the
client is not properly parsing something, or the server could be
stuck. The only way to know is to look at the HTTPVIMServer.log file
to see what happened and use that information to guide some debugging.
Sadly the HTTP VIM stack doesn't work very well and you are going to
encounter problems with it.

Mike
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages