symmetries of eplisonmetric are not recognized when indices are mixed

Masoud Shokri

Sep 13, 2021, 9:10:33 AM9/13/21
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Dear all,

It sometimes happens that when I define a rule with epislonmetric, the result is a mixture of up and down indices. For instance,
$
\epsilon^{\beta }{}_{\lambda \sigma \delta } E^{\lambda } B^{\sigma } u_{\alpha } u^{\delta }
$
Despite the the obvious fact that this example is zero, it does not disappear on canonicalization unless I fix the indices in a dirty way. What is the best way to do this?

Best regards
Masoud

Jose

Sep 13, 2021, 1:08:21 PM9/13/21
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

Why do you say this is obviously zero ? Did you mean to write u_{\beta} instead of u_{\alpha} ? I'm going to assume that's the case.

In general, it is much better (and safer) to send full xAct code, for reproducibility. In this case:

<< xAct`xTensor`

DefManifold[M, 4, {a, b, c, d}]
DefMetric[-1, g[-a, -b], cd]
DefTensor[{u[a], v[a], w[a]}, M]

In[5]:= epsilong[a, -b, -c, -d] v[b] w[c] u[d] u[-a] // ToCanonical
Out[5]= 0

Cheers,
Jose.

Masoud Shokri

Sep 14, 2021, 10:56:13 AM9/14/21
to Jose, xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Dear Jose,
As you noticed, I copied the wrong expression. The correct one is
$
- \epsilon_{\alpha \lambda \sigma }{}^{\delta } E^{\beta } B^{\lambda } u^{\sigma } u_{\delta }
$
And this is the expression in input form
-(epsilonmetric[-a, -l, -o, p]*fourelectric[b]*fourmagnetic[l]*
    fourvelocity[o]*fourvelocity[-p]) // ToCanonical
Since I was not able to reproduce the problem, I am sending my file with this email. The problem appears in line 323.
Best regards
Masoud

Best Regards
Masoud Shokri
http://www.ipm.ac.ir/personalinfo.jsp?PeopleCode=IP1900030
--------------------------
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, School of Particles and Accelerator
IPM
Tehran, Iran
examples-1.nb

Jose

Sep 14, 2021, 11:00:12 AM9/14/21
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

This notebook contains the line

   SetOptions[ToCanonical, UseMetricOnVBundle -> None]

which instructs ToCanonical not to use the metric. Hence if the indices of a tensor are not placed in their original positions there will not be proper canonicalization. Restoring the default setting UseMetricOnVBundle -> All fixes the issue.

It's always much better to send a small notebook or minimal collection of inputs that reproduce the problem, instead of a large notebook where it takes considerable time to decide what is important or not for the problem at hand.

Cheers,
Jose.