Variational derivative of metric determinant

Soham Bhattacharyya

Oct 18, 2021, 4:02:48 PM10/18/21
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

I am trying to take the variational derivative of the square root of the negative metric determinant with respect to the contravariant metric. While in https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-18335-0, Page 701, Eq. (30), the overall sign in the variational derivative with respect to the contravariant metric is negative, the same with the VarD command is turning out to be positive.

I have attached the example with this message. Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Soham
Variational_Derivative_of_SquareRoot_of_MetricDeterminant_Issue.nb

Jose

Oct 19, 2021, 11:41:20 PM10/19/21
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

I think you are just missing a simplification taking into account that the determinant is negative:

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 22.39.39.png

Cheers,
Jose.

Soham Bhattacharyya

Oct 23, 2021, 3:45:48 AM10/23/21
to Jose, xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Jose,

Thank you for your reply.

I was wondering if you ever thought of conducting a hackathon on xAct. Could be useful in coming up with new ways of using the engine.

With best regards,
Soham

Jose

Oct 23, 2021, 3:18:59 PM10/23/21
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Soham,

I never thought of doing something like that. We can organize some sort of xAct-related virtual meeting, and discuss suggestions and proposals. We can also do that in this forum too, which leaves a record for others to explore and refer to, even if it means a slower process.

Let us open a new thread and discuss possibilities.

Thanks,
Jose.