Dummy and Free Indices

ehki...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2024, 12:54:32 PMJun 24
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra

I need help with extracting all free and dummy indices from an expression. However, I encounter an issue where the dummy indices are being treated as free indices when I call them within a tensor. Does anyone know how to handle this properly?

I've attached a picture for reference.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Ehsan

2024-06-24_19-57-06.jpg

Thomas Bäckdahl

Jun 24, 2024, 2:48:36 PMJun 24
to xa...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I think the problem here is that you are using
$PrePrint=ScreenDollarIndices;
This means that all indices with a $ symbol is replaced before it is displayed.
The actual expression in Out[361] should have the indices in Out[360]. However, before the expression is displayed they are changed to other indices not used in that expression.
You can use InputForm@% or FullForm@% to see what the expression actually is.

In your case I think you should do ScreenDollarIndices on expr before you extract the indices.

Regards
Thomas
2024-06-24_19-57-06.jpg --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "xAct Tensor Computer Algebra" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/xact/6cdd1cfa-0169-45e9-a863-83a2cc947929n%40googlegroups.com.