construct a specific second rank tensor

Shubham Kumar Sinha

Feb 16, 2023, 5:28:23 AM2/16/23
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi All,
I am using Xtensor for a while and it is very useful in computing complicated tensor structures. Currently I want to construct a tensor field \[Psi][a,b] such that a belongs to manifold M1 and b belongs to manifold M2.  It would be helpful if anyone can tell me that if that is possilble under xact package.

Jose

Feb 16, 2023, 10:26:21 PM2/16/23
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

Yes, you can define tensor fields with indices in different vector spaces, like two tangent spaces, or a tangent space and an inner space. Do something like this:

DefManifold[M1, 2, {a, b, c, d}]
DefManifold[M2, 3, {A, B, C, D}]

DefTensor[psi[a, A], {M1, M2}]

DefTensor[T[a, b, -A, -B], {M1, M2}, Symmetric[{-A, -B}]]

etc.

Cheers,
Jose.