VarD in case of 3+1 decomposition

Pawan Kumar Gupta

Oct 17, 2021, 5:12:27 AM10/17/21
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

I am trying to compute the Variational derivative for Lagrangian L which has variable defined on 3dim manifold and time derivate is defined as ParamD[t]. To compute Variational Derivative,
  VarD[\[Phi][],CD][L] where CD is covariant derivative on 3dim manifold
Clearly, this won't give the correct variation of L, because time variation in missing. But adding VarD of time also does not give correct result.
VarD[\[Phi][],CD][L]  + VarD[\[Phi][],ParamD[t]][L]
So, I was wondering how to do VarD correctly in this case ?

Thank you in Advance!

Jose

Oct 24, 2021, 8:38:41 PM10/24/21
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

This is a good point. I had never thought of this case, and I'm afraid VarD does not handle it at the moment. xTensor implicitly assumes that you will first take variations and then perform a 3+1 decomposition, rather than viceversa.

We should find a way of extending VarD to use several derivatives simultaneously.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Jose.