Fortran in x86-64 psABI

hjl....@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2013, 11:51:50 AM11/19/13
to x86-6...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

X86-64 psABI says

---
No attempt has been made to specify an ABI for languages other than C. How-
ever, it is assumed that many programming languages will wish to link with code
written in C, so that the ABI specifications documented here apply there too.
---

But it has a section for Fortran.  It should say "other than C and Fortran."

H.J.

Zakharin, Vyacheslav P

Nov 26, 2013, 5:31:51 AM11/26/13
to hjl....@gmail.com, x86-6...@googlegroups.com

Hi H.J.,

In FORTRAN most parameters are passed via reference, so we will have bounds for all parameters. This may affect performance of FORTRAN programs in a bad way. And usually FORTRAN programs do not need pointer usage validation, though it may be required for FORTRAN pointers and FORTRAN routines called from C/C++ programs. AFAIK, Intel FORTRAN compiler doesn’t support pointer checking options.

So we may say that the ABI is defined for C and Fortran, but it will not be true for MPX part.

Thanks,

Slava

Closed Joint Stock Company Intel A/O
17 Krylatskaya Str., Bldg 4, Moscow 121614,
Russian Federation

Evandro Menezes

Nov 26, 2013, 3:31:29 PM11/26/13
to x86-6...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, in my experience working with several FORTRAN compiler vendors to capture a minimal x86-64 ABI before, they actually did not want anything more than what is already in it.  They wanted the freedom to do all kinds of tricks in order to achieve performance, some which were proprietary, like how arrays were laid out in memory as well as references, when an ABI could be stifling to them.  In the end, since FORTRAN is a much simpler language, source-code compatibility is pretty much a given and therefore binary compatibility is not so important as it is for C and C++.