Shutdown x-loader (was Re: [x-loader] Problems with utilizing x-loader and Devkit 8000)

Menon, Nishanth

Mar 15, 2012, 6:53:38 PM3/15/12
to x-lo...@googlegroups.com
folks,
Do we want to continue maintaining x-loader now that u-boot SPL is
functional? if still yes, open for new maintainers to come in
I do see a bit of patches sitting in the list without merge etc.. so
was wondering if it is better to migrate over to SPL enmasse and shut
off x-loader.

Regards,
Nishanth Menon

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 17:48, Tomas Ziajko <ziaj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello to all the People. I've encountered some problems with x-loader
> while trying to boot my custom Linux kernel on Devkit8000. The MLO
> file from BB's webpage works fine, but the one I generate causes an
> error while booting:
>
> Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.4ss (Mar 15 2012 - 22:36:28)
> Unknown chip: mfr was 0x2c, id was 0xb1
> Unsupported Chip!
>
> So it hangs on the first stage of bootloader.
>
> Booting from a properly formatted SD card, using x-loader from GIT
> repository. As I mentioned, precompiled Angstorm form BB's website
> boots well, therefore I assume no hardware problem occurred. Could
> anybody tell me whats wrong? I have tried both Crosstool-NG and
> CodeSourcery. I compile with:
>
> make distclean
> make omap3530beagle_config
> make
>
> --

Tomas Ziajko

Mar 15, 2012, 7:05:14 PM3/15/12
to x-loader
Thank you for the quick reply. I wasn't aware that u-boot can be used
to generate the file.
I'll give it a try.

Cheers

Nicolas Dechesne

Mar 15, 2012, 8:02:29 PM3/15/12
to x-lo...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Menon, Nishanth <n...@ti.com> wrote:
Do we want to continue maintaining x-loader now that u-boot SPL is
functional?

i think we should stop this. uboot/spl is the way to go.

Javier Martinez Canillas

Mar 16, 2012, 4:27:29 AM3/16/12
to x-lo...@googlegroups.com

by the way, does exists some documentation that explains how SPL works
and how to enable new boards using it?

I've an OMAP3 based board that is supported by x-loader + u-boot and
want to add support for it on u-boot SPL.

I was looking on similar boards code to learn how to do it but any
pointer to existing docs will be great.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

--
Javier Martínez Canillas
(+34) 682 39 81 69

Enric Balletbò i Serra

Mar 16, 2012, 4:33:57 AM3/16/12
to x-lo...@googlegroups.com
2012/3/16 Javier Martinez Canillas <martine...@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Nicolas Dechesne <nic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Menon, Nishanth <n...@ti.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do we want to continue maintaining x-loader now that u-boot SPL is
>>> functional?
>>

>> i think we should stop this. uboot/spl is the way to go.

I'm agree, but it's possible to release version 1.5.2 and maintain the
repository alive meanwhile we migrate to the new uboot/spl. As I know,
maybe I'm wrong, the nand spl works, but the onenand spl it's not
implemented yet. Some boards like omap3evm and IGEP v2 uses a OneNAND.

> by the way, does exists some documentation that explains how SPL works
> and how to enable new boards using it?

Start with doc/README.SPL from u-boot tree :-)

> I've an OMAP3 based board that is supported by x-loader + u-boot and
> want to add support for it on u-boot SPL.
>
> I was looking on similar boards code to learn how to do it but any
> pointer to existing docs will be great.
>
> Thanks a lot and best regards,
>
> --
> Javier Martínez Canillas
> (+34) 682 39 81 69
> Barcelona, Spain

Javier Martinez Canillas

Mar 16, 2012, 5:09:56 AM3/16/12
to x-lo...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Enric Balletbò i Serra
<ebal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/3/16 Javier Martinez Canillas <martine...@gmail.com>:

>>> i think we should stop this. uboot/spl is the way to go.
>>>

> I'm agree, but it's possible to release version 1.5.2 and maintain the
> repository alive meanwhile we migrate to the new uboot/spl. As I know,
> maybe I'm wrong, the nand spl works, but the onenand spl it's not
> implemented yet. Some boards like omap3evm and IGEP v2 uses a OneNAND.

I second you on this. SPL is the way to go but we shouldn't deprecate
x-loader until all boards are migrated or at least until we have
everything we need to migrate implemented in u-boot (i.e
CONFIG_SPL_ONENAND_SUPPORT).

>> by the way, does exists some documentation that explains how SPL works
>> and how to enable new boards using it?
>
> Start with doc/README.SPL from u-boot tree :-)

Yes, I did but still is a bit scarce, or I'm a slow learner ;-)

I know that we can use CONFIG_SPL_BUILD to decide what ends on the SPL
binary from the board code, but still there things that are not clear
to me, like how to use the generic U-Boot libraries such as
CONFIG_SPL_MMC_SUPPORT and CONFIG_SPL_NAND_SUPPORT.

Regards,
Javier

This conversation is locked