Fox 13 News

BlueN...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2009, 6:19:30 PM2/2/09
to X Labs
I just received this message from Dr. Fehr (see below).

If anyone is available Wednesday, Feb. 4th, at 8:00am, we would
greatly appreciate your help
(Zach, I hope that you will be able to show up).

We need to show the media that we are a large active group... this is
a great precursor for getting sponsors!!

Gentlemen,

Laura Moody of Fox 13 News would like to interview the four of us, if
possible, this Wednesday February 4 at 9:30am at USF.

Joe, I don’t know if you’re in town (I’m hoping you are).

Coyt, I know this means another school absence – if that’s a problem,
we can see if they can get you at another time.

Nick, ENB 109 was not available, so we’re going to do this in the
Circuits Lab. That’s a somewhat presentable room, and it should look
good on the video (with the lab equipment and stuff). We’ll need to
spend some time setting up a few props, and perhaps a .PPT show with
X2 photos, etc. on Wednesday morning. Would you please “summon the
troops” to see if we can get a couple of volunteers. I’ll be there at
8:15.

PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE SO I KNOW WHO TO EXPECT ON WEDNESDAY.
I apologize for the short notice, but you know the media!

Dr. Fehr

BlueN...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2009, 6:19:30 PM2/2/09
to X Labs

klva...@mail.usf.edu

Feb 2, 2009, 7:03:31 PM2/2/09
to X Labs
I guess I could go, though I don't know what I could really do. Which
room is the Circuits Lab?

On Feb 2, 6:19 pm, "bluenic...@gmail.com" <BlueNic...@gmail.com>

blha...@mail.usf.edu

Feb 2, 2009, 7:14:20 PM2/2/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
Hey. You guys can count on me. I'll do what I can. I think ckts lab is the lab on the end of the 2nd flr by the elevator in enb.

-ben
Sent on the Now Network™ from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Feb 2, 2009, 7:25:18 PM2/2/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
I'd probably be able to make it but I'm still new to X-labs, I would have no idea what to talk about regarding the last balloon launch....

-Zach

David Broadwell

Feb 2, 2009, 8:24:50 PM2/2/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
I'm in, should we wear the x-labs shirts?
Text/call any location and time changes to 813-453-7443

--

db

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:19 PM, bluen...@gmail.com

Joseph Lakeman

Feb 3, 2009, 1:32:05 PM2/3/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
We have X-Labs shirts?  8am tomorrow morning? I'll be there.

Nick Melton

Feb 2, 2009, 8:34:23 PM2/2/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com, Fehr, Ralph, Joe Register
I believe the circuits lab is ENB 238 (but I am positive that it is the last lab in the hallway of the second floor of ENB by the elevator).

Here is the list of people who have already volunteered to help Wednesday morning:

1. Keven
2. Ben
3. Zach
4. David

Thank you guys for offering your time!
Nick

--
Wayne Nicholas Melton
President, X-Labs

Brad Perryman

Feb 3, 2009, 2:31:12 PM2/3/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
Can't make it because I'm in WAMI lab at that time.

Brad

blha...@mail.usf.edu

Feb 3, 2009, 3:09:10 PM2/3/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys. Dropped by the portable today. Place looks excellent. A LOT cleaner! Good job!!!!!

Go xlabs!

From: Nick Melton
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 20:34:23 -0500
To: <x-l...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: XLABS!-- Re: Fox 13 News

Nick Melton

Feb 3, 2009, 7:06:19 PM2/3/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
I you have your X-Labs shirt, please wear them!! For anyone who would like one, I will get the website from Joe (you should be able to place an order).

Have fun in WAMI lab Brad; that was probably one of my favorite courses.

And Ben, thanks for the complement.  Coyt and myself finished cleaning the meeting room over the weekend, however, the workshop and storage room still needs work.

I'll see most of you tomorrow morning; thank you again!

Nick

--
Wayne Nicholas Melton
President, X-Labs
REU Student, Dr. Weller
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of South Florida
(813) 486.2881
wme...@ieee.org

David Broadwell

Feb 3, 2009, 8:36:27 PM2/3/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Joseph Lakeman <jlak...@mail.usf.edu> wrote:
> We have X-Labs shirts? 8am tomorrow morning? I'll be there.
Those were made for the last expo ... so if you are a member from
then, you have one. Don't we still have the X-labs silk screen in the
trailer somewhere?

I'll see if I can locate my spare and wear mine so we at least have
one or two shirts in the picture.

--

David Broadwell
Phone: 813-453-7443

"MEMS are like crystal Legos ~!"

Zachary Stone

Feb 4, 2009, 12:02:06 AM2/4/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
I am in Orlando on a different type of business trip, I'll be getting
up at the crack of dawn to make this meeting (I'm shooting to be ready
on campus at 9am).

Remember that a lot of us are new to Xlabs and where not involved in
the previous projects, if someone can please call me sometime tomorrow
( Nick? Joe?) to just fill me in somewhat on X2 and any other points
of interest that would be a real help, otherwise me being there in
person won't really mean much.

My cell is 305 431 3154, I'll be up around 6am so anytime from then
until the meeting you can reach me.

Thanks,
Zach

BlueN...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2009, 12:53:09 PM2/17/09
to X Labs
Apparently there is going to be a live shoot tomorrow morning (around
6:00 am or 7:00 am) for Fox 13.

Is there anyone who will be available tomorrow early morning?!
I will re-email everyone with more detail when they become available

Thanks
Nick

--

On Feb 4, 12:02 am, Zachary Stone <zst...@mail.usf.edu> wrote:
> I am in Orlando on a different type of business trip, I'll be getting
> up at the crack of dawn to make this meeting (I'm shooting to be ready
> on campus at 9am).
>
> Remember that a lot of us are new to Xlabs and where not involved in
> the previous projects, if someone can please call me sometime tomorrow
> ( Nick? Joe?) to just fill me in somewhat on X2 and any other points
> of interest that would be a real help, otherwise me being there in
> person won't really mean much.
>
> My cell is 305 431 3154, I'll be up around 6am so anytime from then
> until the meeting you can reach me.
>
> Thanks,
> Zach
>
> On 2/3/09, David Broadwell <dbroadw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Joseph Lakeman <jlake...@mail.usf.edu>
> > wrote:
> >> We have X-Labs shirts?  8am tomorrow morning? I'll be there.
> > Those were made for the last expo ... so if you are a member from
> > then, you have one. Don't we still have the X-labs silk screen in the
> > trailer somewhere?
>
> > I'll see if I can locate my spare and wear mine so we at least have
> > one or two shirts in the picture.
>
> > --
>
> > David Broadwell
> > Phone: 813-453-7443
> > Email: dbroadw...@gmail.com

BlueN...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2009, 7:43:09 PM2/17/09
to X Labs
Here are the details about the shoot tomorrow morning:

Apparently the piece that was filmed on Feb. 4th in the Circuits Lab
is going to air tomorrow morning during the 7:00 am news. In addition
to that piece, they would like a live interview; so they will be
arriving on campus at 6:00 am to prepare.

Dr. Fehr recommended using the MEMs lab for a "sciencey backdrop." (I
believe that Alex is/has talked to Dr. Bansali).

I know that 6:00am is an ungodly hour, but I would greatly appreciate
one or two people there (in addition to myself). I'm not sure what
they are looking for tomorrow morning, but I would still like to have
an X-Labs presence!

Please let me know who is willing to wake up!
Nick

--

On Feb 17, 12:53 pm, "bluenic...@gmail.com" <BlueNic...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Apparently there is going to be a live shoot tomorrow morning (around
> 6:00 am or 7:00 am) for Fox 13.
>
> Is there anyone who will be available tomorrow early morning?!
> I will re-email everyone with more detail when they become available
>
> Thanks
> Nick
>
> --
> Wayne Nicholas Melton
> President, X-Labs
> REU Student, Dr. Weller
> Department of Electrical Engineering
> University of South Florida
> (813) 486.2881
> wmel...@ieee.org

Keven Vaughn

Feb 17, 2009, 8:37:36 PM2/17/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
I can go.  It'll suck not getting sleep...but I'll be there.  Dressing style?

Nick Melton

Feb 17, 2009, 8:49:24 PM2/17/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Keven!!

I would recommend wearing a polo or button-up shirt at the most; I'm still going to wear jeans

Nick

--
Wayne Nicholas Melton
President, X-Labs
REU Student, Dr. Weller
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of South Florida
(813) 486.2881
wme...@ieee.org

Angela Garcia Aker

Feb 17, 2009, 8:55:47 PM2/17/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com, x-l...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there! Whoo....yah for 6am meets! :P

Sent from my iPhone

BlueN...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2009, 10:17:54 AM2/18/09
to X Labs
Below is the link of the piece that Fox13 produced, enjoy!!
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/good_day/usf_xlab_021809

Also, we will have a meeting this Friday at 3:30pm in ETS 102 (the
portable behind ENB and adjacent to the solar panels).

I believe that we will be working on the fusion reactor, finalizing
the design of our massive tesla coil, and gathering the required parts
needs for our next launch. In addition, we will probably look at the
solar panels and trailer set-up to see what steps we should complete
next.

And, as a reminder, we have another demo on Feb. 28th. I will discuss
the details during Friday's meeting.

I hope everyone's week is going well!!
Nick

--

On Feb 17, 8:55 pm, Angela Garcia Aker <agara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll be there! Whoo....yah for 6am meets! :P
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 17, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Nick Melton <bluenic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you so much Keven!!
>
> > I would recommend wearing a polo or button-up shirt at the most; I'm
> > still going to wear jeans
>
> > Nick
>
> > --
> > Wayne Nicholas Melton
> > President, X-Labs
> > REU Student, Dr. Weller
> > Department of Electrical Engineering
> > University of South Florida
> > (813) 486.2881
> > wmel...@ieee.org
>
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Keven Vaughn
> > <klvau...@mail.usf.edu> wrote:
> > I can go.  It'll suck not getting sleep...but I'll be there.
> > Dressing style?
>
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 7:43 PM, bluenic...@gmail.com <BlueNic...@gmail.com
> > > wrote:
>
> > Here are the details about the shoot tomorrow morning:
>
> > Apparently the piece that was filmed on Feb. 4th in the Circuits Lab
> > is going to air tomorrow morning during the 7:00 am news.  In addition
> > to that piece, they would like a live interview; so they will be
> > arriving on campus at 6:00 am to prepare.
>
> > Dr. Fehr recommended using the MEMs lab for a "sciencey backdrop." (I
> > believe that Alex is/has talked to Dr. Bansali).
>
> > I know that 6:00am is an ungodly hour, but I would greatly appreciate
> > one or two people there (in addition to myself). I'm not sure what
> > they are looking for tomorrow morning, but I would still like to have
> > an X-Labs presence!
>
> > Please let me know who is willing to wake up!
> > Nick
>
> > --
> > Wayne Nicholas Melton
> > President, X-Labs
> > REU Student, Dr. Weller
> > Department of Electrical Engineering
> > University of South Florida
> > (813) 486.2881
> > wmel...@ieee.org

Ferekides, Chris

Feb 18, 2009, 11:28:17 AM2/18/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
My only comment ....

VERY proud of your efforts!!! Very proud! Keep up the good work ...

Chris

Chris S. Ferekides, Ph.D.E.E.
Professor
Electrical Engineering
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Ave.
Tampa, FL 33620
Tel:  (813) 974-4818
Fax: (813) 974-5250
e-mail: fere...@eng.usf.edu
"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"  - William McDonough
"Ου τοις άρχειν βουλομένοις μέμφομαι, αλλά τοις υπακούειν ετοιμοτέροις ούσιν." Θουκυδίδης

Feb 18, 2009, 2:20:07 PM2/18/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
If anyone would like to get together this Saturday or sunday to work on anything let me know.  I work friday afternoon and so I can't make it to the meeting.
--
Joseph Lakeman
X-Labs External Vice President

Zachary Stone

Feb 18, 2009, 6:10:37 PM2/18/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
Wow,

Video came out great.

Zach

Benjamin Hamilton

Feb 18, 2009, 10:16:08 PM2/18/09
to x-l...@googlegroups.com
hey, super cool vid.  wish i had been a part of x1,2,3.  i am very psyched!  lets get x4 going!  give her another reason to come back!!

-ben